Escape to Paradise: Your Dream Cottage Awaits in Keijenborg, Netherlands
Escape to Paradise: Keijenborg's Dream Cottage? Let's Dive In (and Maybe Sink a Little)
Okay, buckle up, buttercups. I just got back from a whirlwind trip to -- drumroll, please -- Keijenborg, Netherlands, and this is my, shall we say, unfiltered take on "Escape to Paradise: Your Dream Cottage Awaits." Honestly, the name alone sets a high bar, right? "Paradise"? Look, I'm a sucker for a good promise, just like everyone else. So, did it deliver? Let's peel back the layers of stroopwafels and find out.
(SEO Snippet for the Algorithm Gods: Escape to Paradise Keijenborg Review, Netherlands Cottage, Wheelchair Accessible, Spa, Restaurant, Free Wi-Fi, Family Friendly, Fitness Center, Accessible, Keijenborg Hotels, Netherlands Travel)
Accessibility: The Good, The (Potentially) Not-So-Good, and The "Wait, WHAT?"
Right off the bat, the website boasted about accessibility. Big plus! I, thankfully, don't need full wheelchair access myself, but I always appreciate places that think about it. And, based on the listing, it seems they’ve tried. They list it as "Facilities for disabled guests," which is something. However, the devil, as they say, is in the details. I didn't take a super-scientific survey, but I'd recommend calling ahead if full wheelchair friendliness is a must-have. Perhaps get some details on the bathroom situation, corridors etc. for peace of mind.
On-Site Deliciousness (and Maybe a Stomach Ache): Dining, Drinking & Snacking
Okay, here's where things get interesting, and a little…complicated. They list a whole buffet of dining options. And a buffet is always a good thing, right? I mean, how can you not love piling your plate sky-high with all sorts of deliciousness?
- The Buffet Bonanza (and My Breakfast Regret): The breakfast buffet, I must be honest, was what I was looking forward to the most. I am, after all, a person who loves eating and who can resist an early breakfast? They say they have "Asian breakfast" and "Western breakfast", as well as "Buffet in restaurant" and "Buffet in restaurant". However, truth be told, the buffet area felt a bit…understaffed. The coffee machine was brewing at a glacial pace, leaving a small queue of grumpy, caffeine-starved guests. The food choices were…varied. There were some decent croissants, some rubbery scrambled eggs, and a sort-of-mysterious “savory concoction” that I bravely tried. Regretted. Immediately. I did find salvation in a mountain of fresh fruit, however, which makes up for a lot. 6/10.
- Dinner & Drinks: A Mixed Bag: During the day, I got peckish. They have a decent "Snack bar" and a, "Coffee shop" but I opted for the "Poolside bar" instead. Oh, the pool, but let's leave that for later. At this poolside bar, I was expecting fancy cocktails and an elaborate menu. Instead, I was offered something a tad basic but refreshing. I had a "Western cuisine in restaurant", which was decent.
- The "Alternative Meal Arrangement" Mystery: I am not sure on this one, the listing had a few options and it felt to me like they would find ways to appease a customer requesting an "alternative meal." But, I am not sure, I did not request this.
- Rambling Thoughts: There was a bottle of water in the room. Always appreciated. They mention a "Vegetarian restaurant", and I did not see it, I did not have any special diet, and they have an "A la carte in restaurant", but I did not see the menu.
Cleanliness and Safety: Sanitized or Just Surface-Level Sparkling?
This is a big one, especially these days. Escape to Paradise claims to be on top of their hygiene game. "Anti-viral cleaning products," "Daily disinfection in common areas," "Rooms sanitized between stays"— all the right buzzwords, right? And you can definitely see the effort. Hand sanitizer stations were everywhere, which is a relief. My room felt clean, but that's just a gut feeling. I didn't take a microscope to the doorknobs, but I didn't see any obvious issues. They also have "Safe dining setup" and I felt safe enough, even if the staff were a bit stressed.
Things to Do & Ways to Relax: Paradise Found? (Maybe in the Jacuzzi)
Okay, now we're getting to the good stuff. "Escape to Paradise" conjures up images of pure relaxation. And, bless their hearts, they do offer some seriously tempting options.
- The Pool with a View (and a Bit of a Crowd): The outdoor pool? Absolutely gorgeous, and the 'pool with a view' is well-deserved. Picture this: clear blue water, sunshine, and, of course, a few other people. It wasn't exactly a private oasis, but hey, you can't have everything, right? However, I got in there and immediately felt relaxed. And I relaxed in the pool for a while.
- The Spa Saga (or, Is It Worth It?): "Spa", Spa/ Sauna", "Body scrub", "Body wrap", "Foot bath", "Massage", "Sauna", and "Steamroom"? Okay, sign me up! They offer all these things. I went for the massage and the sauna. The massage was…ok. Not life-changing, but definitely nice to unwind with. The sauna was hot, which is what you want from a sauna, I guess, and was quite relaxing.
- Fitness Center: Because, Priorities: I am not much of a gym buff, but they have a Fitness center, which I found to be a decent size, with a fair bit of modern equipment. However, I cannot comment on the equipment itself.
The "Extra Touches": Services and Conveniences, for Better or Worse
Okay, let's talk about the little things. The stuff that should make a stay feel special, but sometimes just…doesn't.
- The Wi-Fi Woes (or, The Great Internet Blackout) - They tout "Free Wi-Fi in all rooms!" Great! Except…it was a bit spotty. I'm talking buffering videos, dropped connections, the works. It was more like “Wi-Fi in all rooms!…if you’re lucky." Not a dealbreaker, but definitely annoying.
- Air Conditioning (Thank God!): Essential in the summer heat.
- Daily Housekeeping (Yay!): Always nice to come back to a tidy room.
- Car Park [Free of Charge]: Yes, and yes.
Rooms: Home Sweet…(Almost) Home?
The rooms themselves were…well, they were rooms. Clean, adequate, and with all the basics.
- The Good: They had "Air conditioning," which was a life-saver. Big "Daily housekeeping" was also a winner.
- The Almost So Good: The bed was comfortable, and I got good sleep.
- The "Meh": The decor was a bit…generic. Think beige on beige with a splash of brown. Not offensive, just not particularly inspiring.
For the Kids: Family Friendly or Just Tolerant?
This place claims to be family-friendly. They "Babysitting service" sounds good. I did not try the Babysitting service, and I did not stay. I did walk some of the areas where families were staying.
Getting Around: Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy?
- Car Park: Free, which is awesome.
- Airport Transfer: They offer it, which is convenient.
Overall Verdict: Paradise…Adjacent.
So, would I say "Escape to Paradise" completely lived up to its name? Not quite. It's more like "Escape to Pretty Darn Pleasant Place." There were some definite highlights: the pool, the spa, the location. But there were also some kinks to work out: the spotty Wi-Fi, the slightly underwhelming dining experience, and the lack of personality in the decor.
My Final Thoughts: It's a decent option for a relaxed getaway. I'd recommend calling ahead to clarify any accessibility concerns. Go in with realistic expectations, and you'll probably have a good time. Just don't expect to find the Garden of Eden. But maybe, just maybe, you'll find a nice place to relax, swim and enjoy food.
Heiligenblut Valley Farmhouse: Breathtaking Austrian Views Await!Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because we’re about to get REAL. This isn't your meticulously curated travel brochure itinerary. This is… well, it’s my attempt to survive a trip to a cottage in the middle of nowhere Keijenborg, Netherlands, with all the glorious, chaotic, and probably slightly embarrassing details. Prepare yourselves.
The Keijenborg Cottage Caper: A Mostly Relaxing, Probably Slightly Unhinged Itinerary
Prologue: The Great Escape (Or, "Why Am I Doing This?")
- Day 0 (aka "Panic Packing & Existential Dread"): Flight booked! Cottage confirmed! And my brain decides to completely short-circuit. Packing? An exercise in anxiety. Did I bring enough socks? (Probably not.) Will I remember how to actually speak Dutch? (Spoiler: No). This whole “escape to nature” thing feels less like a rejuvenating retreat and more like an impending episode of "I Survived" but, you know, with more clogs and less bear attacks.
Day 1: Arrival & The Great Cottage Unveiling (followed by mild panic)
- Morning (Amsterdam Schiphol Airport - the only civilized part): Arrive in the Netherlands. Okay, okay, breathing exercises. Dutch airport is actually pretty efficient. Breathe! Find my rental car - a suspiciously tiny hatchback, which already screams "adventure" (or possibly "mechanical failure").
- Afternoon (The Wild Ride to Keijenborg): The drive. Oh, the drive. Google Maps, despite being a supposed technological marvel, seems determined to take me on the most scenic, and by scenic, I mean pot-hole-ridden, route imaginable. I spend an hour convinced I’m lost, dodging cyclists who seem to own the road, and marveling at windmills. Finally, Keijenborg!
- Late Afternoon/Evening (The Cottage… and the Realization): Find the cottage. It's… charming. Like, really, really charming. Picture-perfect, even. Okay, initial reaction: "YES! Peace!" Then, the internet dies. The silence descends. The reality of being alone, in the middle of nowhere, with nothing but a questionable selection of Dutch cheese and my own thoughts, hits. Deep breath. Time for a glass of wine. Or possibly three.
Day 2: The Nature, The Cows, and The (Mild) Mental Breakdown
- Morning (The "Nature Walk" That Turned into a Mild Trek): Determined to be one with nature, I decide to explore. Armed with a questionable map and even more questionable footwear, I set off. The "path" is less a path and more a suggestion. I encounter cows. Lots of cows. They stare at me. I swear one winked. I get mildly lost, panic slightly when I don't have cell service. Somehow I end up in what I think is a flower field. I'm completely surrounded by tulips. It's stunning, but then I'm also convinced I’ve stumbled into a fairy tale and I'm next in line to be a snack for a grumpy gnome.
- Afternoon (Lunch That Didn't Go as Planned): Back at the cottage. I attempt to prepare a simple lunch. This is where I discover I have a serious culinary deficiency. The cheese, while delicious, does not a meal make. I burn the bread. I consider ordering a pizza, but, the idea of trying to explain to someone in Dutch how to navigate to the cottage (which, btw, is basically invisible), overwhelms me. So, cheese and bread it is. (Note to self: Learn to cook. Or, you know, how to locate a delivery service).
- Evening (The Big Stargazing Fail): I was determined to look up at the stars. Because light pollution. The sky is vast and full of… clouds. A classic. But they're beautiful, too.
Day 3: The Obsession With the Windmills - and the Deep Dive into Local Culture
- Morning (Windmill Worship): I have become obsessed with windmills. They are majestic, even in the rain. I drive around for hours, snapping pictures of them. I find the cutest little one. I wish it wasn't raining. I want to befriend it. I'm not sure I'm ok.
- Afternoon (The Quest for Authentic Stroopwafels (and Getting Lost Again) ): Driven by a craving for Stroopwafels, I decide to find a local bakery. This, of course, entails more driving, and more getting gloriously lost. But, the stroopwafels! Worth it. They're warm, gooey, and I eat about five before realizing that's probably not a good idea.
- Evening (The Pub Experience): I venture to the local pub. Armed with a few phrases ("Een biertje, alsjeblieft!" - which, I'm fairly sure, is the extent of my Dutch), I bravely enter. I meet some locals. They laugh at my Dutch. I try to be charming, they laugh at my attempt to be charming. But I manage to order a beer and soak up the atmosphere. The friendly faces and the strong beer work wonders!
Day 4: The Great Bike Adventure (and my near-death experience by sheep)
- Morning (Bike Ride from Hell): I rent a bike. I think "bike ride" is my thing. It's a beautiful day, and I want to see more of the countryside. Immediately: a torrential downpour. I'm soaked, miserable, and almost get run over by a flock of sheep. (Apparently, they have right-of-way in the Netherlands.)
- Afternoon (The Cottage Cocoon): After the bike ride, I retire to the cottage, to nurse my wounds (both physical and emotional). I read a book, drink tea, and stare at the view. I contemplate the meaning of life. I decide it involves more stroopwafels and fewer sheep.
- Evening (Dinner and a Movie, Solo Edition): I make a simple dinner. This time, I don't burn the bread! (Progress!) I watch a movie. It hits me that I've actually enjoyed being alone, even if I've also been slightly insane.
Day 5: Departure & The Reckoning
- Morning (The Awkward Goodbye to the Cottage): Pack. Clean(ish). Leave a note thanking the cottage for not falling apart and (hopefully) not judging my atrocious Dutch. I take one last look at the scene. I consider staying. Then I remember I have an appointment at the airport and probably a full year's worth of emails to catch up on.
- Afternoon (The Drive of Truth): The drive back to Amsterdam. I reflect on the trip. I am a mess. I am weird. I am also, perhaps, a little bit… calmer? I’d face a bear before the Dutch traffic roundabouts.
- Evening (Airport & Flight): Airport security. Flight. The crushing reality of returning to normal life. But the memories! The windmills! The sheep! The stroopwafels! The near-constant feeling of "what am I doing?"… All of it. I take a deep breath. It’s been a trip. A chaotic, imperfect, and wonderful trip.
Post Script: (aka “Things I Learned (Sort Of)”)
- I still can't speak Dutch.
- Cows are judging.
- I need more stroopwafels in my life.
- Nature is beautiful, but also, sheep are scary.
- The best travel experiences are the ones where things go slightly (or completely) off the rails.
- I really need to learn how to cook. And maybe how to navigate. And definitely how to handle a flock of aggressive sheep.
- I absolutely want to go back!
Cheers to the chaos! And to the next adventure.
Saalbach Sauna Chalet: Unwind in Austrian Paradise!Escape to Paradise: Your Dream Cottage Awaits… or Does It? (Keijenborg Edition) – FAQs with a Side of Honesty
Okay, so "Paradise"? Really? After all the hype, is Keijenborg actually *that* idyllic?
Paradise? Look, let's be real. It depends on your definition of paradise. If you think paradise is a bustling metropolis with Michelin stars on every corner, then steer clear. Keijenborg is… well, it's lovely. REALLY lovely. Picture this: I arrived, all jet-lagged and grumpy after a flight that felt like it lasted a geological epoch, and BAM! Green fields, cows that actually *moo* (not just, ya know, make a vague noise), and a silence so thick you could cut it with a butter knife. It was… peaceful. Almost *too* peaceful. I'm a city person, so I was initially, like, "Where's the nearest Starbucks? And someone, PLEASE, let me use a decent Wi-Fi connection!" But, slowly, the serenity started to sink in. The air smells different. Cleaner. And the sunsets? Oh, those sunsets. Yeah, maybe, just *maybe*, it’s paradise-adjacent. With a strong dose of "bring your own entertainment" thrown in for good measure.
What's the cottage *really* like? The photos always look perfect; what’s the secret?
Right, the cottage. Those photos? They’re strategically angled, I’ll admit it. The cottage is charming. REALLY charming. Think exposed beams, a crackling fireplace (that I spent an embarrassing amount of time trying to light – turns out, you need *kindling*, who knew?), and a cozy kitchen. It's old, though. Like, properly old. And with age comes, well, character. And by "character," I mean a slightly wonky floor in the bathroom and a plumbing system that sounds like a grumpy octopus having a hissy fit. The couch? Ultra-comfy *if* you like sinking into a cavern of fluff. Seriously, I swear I almost lost a sock in there. But the view? Ah, the view. Worth every creak, every questionable gurgle from the pipes, and every deep dive into the couch abyss. It’s worth it. Mostly. Just bring a plunger. Seriously.
Is it easy to get around? I'm not exactly a cyclist.
Easy? Well, the Dutch love their bikes. Everywhere. And Keijenborg is no exception. You can rent bikes, and the cycling paths… well, they’re a thing. Flat, scenic things. I, however, am not a cyclist. My coordination on a bike is, shall we say, questionable. I nearly took out a flock of sheep on my first attempt. It was… dramatic. I opted for the car, which is fine, but be warned: the roads are narrow. REALLY narrow. And parking can be a bit of a lottery. Think of it as a daily adventure. Also, gas stations in the boonies? Prepare to embrace the concept of "cash is king." My credit card was *very* unloved for a while.
What's there to *do* in Keijenborg? Beyond breathing the fresh air (tempting, though)?
Okay, this is where it gets interesting. If you're looking for adrenaline-pumping activities, this is not your place (unless you get excited by the prospect of accidentally petting a cow. I nearly did, and the cow was NOT impressed). Hiking is fantastic. Walking, generally, is a must. Seriously? You NEED to walk. It's part of the charm. Cycling is an option, if you're braver than I am. You can visit nearby towns, like Zutphen, which is quite lovely. There are markets. Plenty of cute cafes. But here’s the catch...sometimes it can feel like the town closes up shop at 5 PM. That's when you become very grateful for the little cottage and the charmingly (but *sometimes* unreliable) Wi-Fi. Otherwise? Embrace the quiet. Read a book. Stare at a cow. Seriously. They're surprisingly entertaining.
What about food? Are there any decent restaurants? Or will I spend the entire trip subsisting on cheese and bread? (Not a bad thing, mind you…)
Alright, food. This is crucial. Keijenborg itself isn't exactly a culinary mecca. There are a few cafes. The local *kroeg* (pub) is a must-visit for a beer and a chat with the locals – if you can decipher the Dutch. My Dutch is, let's just say, "limited." I mostly communicated through frantic hand gestures and a lot of smiling. But nearby towns have some gems. Zutphen, as I mentioned, is your friend. The cheese and bread? Absolutely a staple. Embrace it. Buy all the Gouda you can get your hands on. Seriously, it's a national treasure. And don't forget the stroopwafels! They are, quite frankly, addictive. (I may or may not have consumed an entire pack in one sitting. Don't judge me, jet lag is a powerful thing.)
Any tips for a first-timer? What should I really pack?
PACK THIS: An adapter (duh), comfortable shoes for walking (lots of it!), a good book, a raincoat (Dutch weather can be… unpredictable. Let's just say I experienced all four seasons in one afternoon), and a sense of humor. Seriously, you'll need it. Be prepared to embrace the slow pace of life. Pack some snacks, because sometimes the shops close early. And bring a phrasebook. Even a few basic Dutch phrases go a long way. Oh, and a travel journal. You'll want to record all the little quirks and funny moments. Like the time I tried to order coffee and ended up with something that looked suspiciously like hot milk. Fun. And an open mind is also key.
What was the single BIGGEST surprise you had while staying in Keijenborg?
OK, so here’s the real kicker. Remember how I said I'm a city person? And how I was kinda anxious about being 'bored'? Well, the biggest surprise was… me. I actually *loved* it. I mean, I truly, genuinely, deeply, *loved* the quiet. The sunsets, as mentioned, *are* breathtaking. I spent hours just sitting on the porch, listening to the birds. The cows? They grew on me. One day, I swear, I even had a conversation with a particularly friendly cow. Well... I talked AT it. It didn't respond, but I felt heard. I even considered learning to knit. (I didn't. Knitting and I, we're not a good match). The biggest surprise of all? How much I needed that break. I came expecting "paradise," but I got something much more valuable: a reset. A chance to breathe. And a newfound appreciation for the simple things, like a good cup of tea (or, let's be honest, a large mug of hot chocolate). And the peace? That, my friends (and future Keijenborg visitors), is indeed, priceless. Even if the plumbing *is* slightly possessed.