
42onKing: Pretoria's Hottest New Spot? You HAVE to See This!
42onKing: Pretoria's "Hottest New Spot"? Buckle Up, Buttercup! (A Messy, Honest Review)
Alright, Pretoria, let's talk. Specifically, let's talk about 42onKing. The buzz is real, the Instagram posts scream luxury, and the brochures promised me a life-altering experience. Did it deliver? Well, grab a seat because this ain't your average, sanitized travel review. This is the raw, unfiltered truth.
SEO & Metadata Stuff (Before I Get Lost in the Sauce):
- Keywords: 42onKing, Pretoria, hotel review, spa, restaurant, accessible, wheelchair accessible, Wi-Fi, luxury hotel, South Africa, fitness center, swimming pool, events, business facilities, family-friendly, room service, sauna, steamroom, breakfast, bar, safety, cleanliness
- Meta Description: A brutally honest review of 42onKing in Pretoria. We dive deep into the good, the bad, and the utterly bizarre – from the "luxury" spa to the questionable Wi-Fi. Accessibility, dining, and overall experience are dissected with a healthy dose of sarcasm and real-life observations.
- Category: Hotel Review, Travel, South Africa
The Arrival & The First Impression (Spoiler: Mixed Feelings)
Okay, first things first: the aesthetic. 42onKing looks good. Seriously good. Think sleek lines, a modern take on African design, and a lobby that practically screams "Instagram me!" But you know how it is, right? Pretty facades often hide… stuff.
Accessibility & Getting Around (Okay, This is Important)
I’m going to be upfront about something: I really appreciated their commitment to accessibility, which, in South Africa, isn't always a given. Wheelchair accessible ramps and elevators were actually used, not just decorative. The elevator was spacious, and the facilities for disabled guests were thought out, with accessible rooms and bathrooms featuring grab bars and appropriate clearances. Big thumbs up for that!
Internet Woes & the Wi-Fi Whisperers (or Lack Thereof)
Right, let's talk about the Wi-Fi. The holy grail of modern travel, and the potential bane of my existence. They shout "Free Wi-Fi in all rooms!" and "Internet, Internet [LAN], Internet services", which sounds fantastic on paper! But the reality? Let’s just say I got a crash course in patience while trying to upload a single photo. Intermittent outages were a constant companion. I even tried the internet [LAN] connection in the room, and that didn't fare much better. The Wi-Fi in public areas was a tad better – but still, it’s 2024, people! This is a dealbreaker! The internet access itself wasn't the problem, the strength of the connection was.
Rooms: The Good, The Slightly-Less-Good, and The "Wait, What?"
My room? Okay, let's break it down.
- The Good: The air conditioning was a lifesaver in the Pretoria heat. The non-smoking rooms were a blessing (as a non-smoker!). The extra long bed was comfy, and the coffee/tea maker was a godsend in the mornings. The blackout curtains were perfect for sleeping in. Daily housekeeping, bless them, was thorough!
- The Slightly-Less-Good: The in-room safe box was, well, a bit small. I almost forgot to mention, the desk was a bit cramped for a proper work setup. The mini bar was overpriced, but hey, that's hotels, right?
- The "Wait, What?": The bathroom phone. Seriously? Who calls from a bathroom anymore? Maybe it's for emergencies or a hidden hot tub hotline. Speaking of which - no hot tub to be found.
Dining, Drinking & Snacking: A Culinary Rollercoaster
Okay, the food. This is where things get… interesting.
- Breakfast [buffet]: The Asian breakfast selection was actually pretty good, a welcome change from the usual continental fare. The Western breakfast options were standard, but tasty.
- The Restaurant(s): Let's just say the a la carte in restaurant menu left me wanting more. I did find the salad in restaurant to be fairly tasty, but not mind-blowing. The coffee/tea in restaurant options needed serious work.
- The Poolside Bar: This was a saving grace, especially during happy hour. The cocktails were potent, and the atmosphere was relaxed.
Spa, Sauna & Relaxation: My Personal Quest for Zen
This is where I really sank my teeth into 42onKing. The spa was supposed to be a highlight. I’m all about the ways to relax, and was eager for a bit of pampering. My goals, were of course, to get my hands on the Body scrub, Body wrap, Foot bath, Massage, and Sauna.
The Spa/sauna: Oh my goodness, the pool with a view – stunning. Truly stunning. The sauna and steamroom were clean and well-maintained. The fitness center was well-equipped, though sometimes crowded.
But the massage… Oh, the massage. Let's just say it was possibly one of the most awkward, yet strangely therapeutic, experiences of my life. The therapist seemed… distracted? She seemed to move around the room as much as she kneaded my muscles. But then, POOF, it was over, and I felt… calm. Pure zen after the ordeal.
It wasn’t perfect, but darn it, Pretoria sunshine and a shaky spa experience? I’ll take it!
Safety & Cleanliness: A Sense of Security (Mostly)
The cleanliness and safety protocols appeared to be seriously on point. The anti-viral cleaning products gave an extra layer of security in a post-COVID world. Daily disinfection in common areas, room sanitization between stays, and the staff's adherence to safety protocol all inspired confidence. The security [24-hour] presence and CCTV in common areas definitely added to the feeling of safety.
Services & Conveniences: The Price of Convenience?
- The Good: The concierge was helpful and knowledgeable. Daily housekeeping kept things tidy. The laundry service was efficient.
- The Not-So-Good: The convenience store was… well, convenient but overpriced. The car park [free of charge] was a godsend, but spaces were sometimes limited.
Events & Business Facilities:
The meeting/banquet facilities, the seminars they host, and the on-site event hosting clearly caters to the business crowd. I was there for fun, not business, but the audio-visual equipment for special events and Wi-Fi for special events gave me the impression that corporate events are treated seriously here.
For The Kids (And Families in General):
They marketed themselves as family-friendly. The babysitting service seems like a good idea! More importantly, given that there are Family/child friendly options, and they include Kids meal.
The Verdict: Would I Go Back? Maybe…
Look, 42onKing has potential. It's stylish, it's got some fantastic features (that pool! The staff!). But it also has its flaws: Wi-Fi woes, a somewhat inconsistent dining experience, and an occasional feeling of… pretense?
Overall, I had a mostly positive experience. I came to Pretoria feeling like I needed a break, and I got it. So, would I recommend 42onKing? If you’re looking for a stylish stay with some serious potential and can handle a few hiccups (and maybe bring your own Wi-Fi hotspot), then yes. It’s definitely Pretoria’s “hottest new spot”, but like any new hotspot, it's still finding its groove.
Final Thoughts:
- Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars.
- Best For: Couples, solo travelers (if you're patient with the Wi-Fi!), small groups.
- Skip If: You need flawless Wi-Fi, are a picky eater, or demand perfection.
- Go Prepared: Bring a book, a travel router, and a sense of humor. And be prepared for an interesting spa experience!

Alright, buckle up, buttercup, because we're about to dive headfirst into the glorious, chaotic mess that is my proposed trip to 42onKing in Pretoria. "Proposed" is the operative word here, mind you. This is more of a dream itinerary, sprinkled with enough reality checks to keep me (and hopefully you) grounded. Let's get this show on the road!
Day 1: Arrival and the Great Bunny Hunt (Which Probably Won't Happen)
- Morning (AKA The Pre-Trip Freakout): Okay, so the flight. I'm already picturing the screaming children, the guy hogging the armrest, and the endless loop of bad in-flight movies. I swear I'm not a nervous flier! (Liar). Packing? Is it even possible to anticipate all the outfit changes your life might require? I'm 90% sure I'll overpack and 10% sure I'll forget my toothbrush. And my passport, of course.
- Afternoon (Assuming I Land in One Piece): Arrive in Pretoria! Oh boy, the airport shakedowns! I have to navigate customs, grab my luggage (crossing my fingers it actually comes), and find a taxi or Uber. I fully expect to get fleeced. Then, finally, 42onKing. I'm picturing sunshine, a quaint little courtyard, and… bunnies? I read somewhere that they have a resident bunny population. This is my main objective. I will become the bunny whisperer. (Cue dramatic music. I want a bunny selfie, dammit!)
- Evening (Reality Hits Hard): Check in, unpack (probably in a haphazard manner. And if I forget my toothbrush, I'm toast), and settle in. The "settle in" will probably involve collapsing on the bed and sighing dramatically because travel always throws you for a loop. Dinner. Somewhere nearby (hopefully walkable, because taxis are the enemy). I've got a craving for something exotic. Maybe something that will cause me to spend the entire day in the bathroom. Let's hope it's not a mistake.
Day 2: Culture Shock (and Coffee, Lord, Coffee)
- Morning: First things first: coffee. I need caffeine to function. I'll find a local cafe and try to master the art of ordering in a language I don't entirely understand. I'll probably attempt a "lekker" or two and botch it completely. After caffeine, it's time to explore. I'm thinking a visit to the Voortrekker Monument. History! Architecture! Views! I envision myself being all intellectual and deeply moved. Or maybe I'll just complain about the uphill walk. Time will tell.
- Afternoon: More Pretoria exploration. Maybe the Union Buildings? I'll probably wander off the intended path (guaranteed). I'm terrible with directions but good with the "winging it" approach. This is my weakness and my strength. Lunch. Something delicious and (hopefully) not too spicy. I'm a wimp when it comes to heat.
- Anecdote Alert! I remember one time in Rome… (cue a long, rambling story about getting lost, accidentally eating a whole pizza, and nearly missing a train. This will probably happen in Pretoria, too)
- Evening: Dinner and (attempted) relaxation. Maybe find a restaurant with live music. I secretly hope I can dance. I can't, but I hope. Maybe I'll make some new friends. Or maybe I'll just people-watch and eavesdrop on conversations (judgey, I know, it's a flaw).
Day 3: The Jacaranda City (and the Great Bunny Whisperer Quest)
- Morning: Back to the bunnies! (See… I'm obsessed). I'll go on a serious bunny reconnaissance mission. I'll stalk them, bribe them with carrots (if I can find any), and attempt to gain their trust. This is my legacy, people. I envision myself like the Bunny King. The Bunny Whisperer.
- Afternoon: Jacaranda City exploration. Driving, to see the city. I've seen pictures of the purple haze in bloom. It’s just… beautiful. If there's a photographer, I'll happily pose for a picture.
- Evening: Dinner. More food! More adventure! Another attempt to, like, connect with the local culture. I'll try to be less of a tourist and more of a… traveler. Whatever that even means.
Day 4: Goodbye, Pretoria (and the Bunny Tears)
- Morning: Last chance for Bunnies! (I know, I know. Obsessed). Another desperate hunt (and maybe a final pitiful bribe). I'll probably fail miserably, but hey, at least I tried!
- Afternoon: Pack. Sigh dramatically. Reflect on the joys of travel (and the inevitable exhaustion). Head back to the airport.
- Evening: Fly home. Exhausted but exhilarated. Already planning my next adventure. And dreaming of bunnies.
Imperfections and Ramblings
- This itinerary is subject to change. Drastically. I'm terrible at sticking to plans. My mood changes faster than the weather.
- I'm definitely going to get lost. Multiple times.
- I will probably eat something I regret.
- I will take a million photos. Most of them will be blurry.
- I might cry. (Happy tears, maybe? Bunny tears, most likely)
- I'll probably learn something about myself (or realize I’m even more of a mess than I thought).
Final Thoughts (AKA The Emotional Verdict)
This trip to Pretoria is going to be a wild ride. It'll be messy, unpredictable, and probably a little bit ridiculous. But hopefully, it'll be filled with laughter, adventure, and maybe – just maybe – a glimpse of the elusive bunny population. Wish me luck. I'm going to need it. And maybe a spare toothbrush.
Now, where's that passport…?
Escape to Paradise: Your Dream Gite Awaits in Marquise, France!
42onKing: Pretoria's...Well, *My* New Obsession. Seriously.
Okay, Okay, So What *IS* 42onKing, Exactly? Is it Worth the Hype?
Alright, deep breaths. Let me TRY to explain... 42onKing in Pretoria? It's...a vibe. A seriously good one. They're calling it a "lifestyle venue," which sounds a bit corporate, but in practice, it's a blend of everything awesome: a restaurant with food that actually makes you *feel* something (good things, usually!), a killer bar, and this whole, like, "hangout space" thingy with live music. Imagine if your most stylish friend threw a massive party and everyone was invited. It's kinda like that. Worth the hype? Abso-freaking-lutely. Actually, I don't want to tell you. Then it will be even more crowded. (Sorry, not sorry!)
The Food! Everyone's Raving. Is it Really That Good? And What Should I Order?
Okay, the food. THIS. IS. IMPORTANT. I went in with low expectations, you know? Pretoria, great, but food's not always the main draw. But, holy moly, was I wrong. I almost wept when I took the first bite of the... I don't even remember what it was called, some fancy-sounding fish thing. But the taste? Pure heaven. The chef must be a culinary wizard or something. I've become a total creature of habit. I'm telling you - get the [mention dish, and a specific detail or memory associated with it]. I actually embarrassed myself by trying to lick the plate. Don't judge me. It was THAT good. And the cocktails! Pure art! The way they presented [a specific cocktail's description] - it's the kind of thing you’d post to your Instagram three times!
What's the Atmosphere Like? Is it "Trendy" or Actually Fun?
Trendy? Sure, maybe a little. But it doesn't feel…pretentious, you know? It's got a good energy! It actually feels fun and relaxed, I think if you dress up, you're not going to get side glanced, and if you dress down, no one cares, and just want to have a good time.. They have this killer outdoor area – perfect for those balmy Pretoria evenings. The live music, wow, I have to admit, it's a big selling point - usually some great local bands and some real talent. They have a killer sound system. It's the place to be, and you instantly feel like you want to stay for a few hours. And the decor? I love it! It has a mix of seating options, so no matter how big your group or how cozy your vibe, there is a place for you. It's designed really well, I must say.
Speaking of Music: Is it Always Live? What Kinds of Acts Do They Feature?
Okay, so music. It's not *always* live, but it's pretty darn close, especially on weekends. I could be wrong, they have different schedules on different nights. They seem to book a nice mix of local bands, mostly… well, I'm not a music expert, but it is diverse. There’s something for everyone, jazz, pop, and even a DJ on some nights. (Who's your favorite DJ? Because I'm definitely going back to the next time he plays!) Check their social media for the schedule, though! I almost missed [Name of musician / band] last Friday. It was heart-breaking!
Parking. The Eternal Pretoria Struggle. What’s the Deal?
Parking in Pretoria… it's a trial. I’m not gonna lie. It can be tricky. There isn’t dedicated parking, which can be a bummer. You'll likely have to hunt for street parking (watch out for the parking pirates!). Get there early if you're worried, or consider an Uber. Seriously. Spare yourself the stress. Once, I spent like, 20 minutes circling the block, and I was late for a date. And the food... It wasn't worth the parking stress. It did ruin the date. Don't let parking ruin your night at 42onKing. Learn from my mistakes!
Is it Kid-Friendly? (Or Should I Leave the Little Monsters at Home?)
Hmmm, this is a tricky one. I haven't brought kids. Honestly? I'd say, probably not ideal. It's more of a grown-up vibe, and the live music can be loud. I haven’t seen kids there. Unless you have well-behaved, quiet children who enjoy fine dining (ha!), maybe leave them at home. It is a great date night spot, or hangout with friends. However, if you must, maybe a lunch outing is better? Also, it could depend on the day. I don't think you'd want a kid around when that DJ is spinning!
My Experience: The Time the Waiter Didn't Judge Me (or, My Love For That [Specific Dish] Continues)
Okay, I have to share this story. So, the first time I went to 42onKing, I was a mess. I had a terrible week, I was hungry, and I walked in ready to just... melt. I ordered the [Name of dish], and it arrived. And the waiter, this incredibly patient guy, I think his name was John? (Or maybe it was Dave... I'm bad with names!), didn't even bat an eye when I devoured the whole thing in record time and then, without thinking, asked for another one. (That’s how good it is). I actually felt a little embarrassed, but he just smiled and said, "Happens all the time." The comfort! The food was like a warm hug. I probably should have eaten slower, but honestly, during the meal, it’s like everything was gone. I still dream about that [Dish]. And every time I go back, I order it. I don't even bother looking at the menu anymore. That place is my sanctuary, my happy place, and the [Dish] is the fuel that keeps my engine running. Maybe I have a problem. I don’t care.
Any Downsides? Anything I Should Know Before I Go?
Okay, the downsides. Well, as I said, parking. And it can get crowded, especially on weekends. Booking a table is HIGHLY recommended, unless you're okay with waiting (and possibly dealing with my hangry self, because YOU KNOW I'll be there!). The service is generally good, but sometimes, when it's packed, things can slow down a bit. Be patient! Also: It is slightly pricey. But honestly? Worth it. Also, be prepared to have a blast!
Book Hotels Now

