Monkebude Dream Home: HUGE Holiday House w/ Roof Terrace & Garden!
Monkebude Dream Home: HUGE Holiday House… A Real Dream, or Just a Gigantic Headache? (A Messy Review)
Alright, buckle up buttercups, because I'm about to spill the beans (and maybe some coffee) about Monkebude Dream Home. Honestly? The name sets the bar HIGH. "Dream Home?" Okay, let's see if it delivers. I’m still sorting through the memories, so apologies if this review jumps around a bit… much like my brain after a week of… well, you’ll see.
Accessibility: The (Mostly) Good, The (Slightly) Sketchy
Okay, first things first. Accessibility. This is HUGE for me. I need to know I'm not going to be awkwardly manuevering around tight corners with my… well, you get the idea. They claim to have facilities for disabled guests. Claim. I always approach that with a healthy dose of skepticism. The elevator was a godsend, no hiking those stairs at 3 AM, after a few… well, again, you’ll see. But navigating the hallways? Felt a little… narrow. Still, they tried. And that’s a good start. Access is everything, right? Well, almost everything.
On-site Accessible Restaurants/Lounges: I Needed a Drink After This…
Honestly? I couldn't find any that explicitly mentioned accessibility. So, unless "plenty of space to stumble around" counts, the on-site drink scene might be a problem. I was hoping to unwind with a cocktail, but ended up needing a stiff one just to find the bar. More on that later. Booze and accessibility? Important pairing.
Internet: Wi-Fi? More Like "Why-Fi?"
Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! The promise! The dream! The reality? Spotty. Seriously, I tried to work one day. Tried to stream a movie the next evening. Both of those projects collapsed faster than my patience. The internet went up and down like a… well, like an irritable rollercoaster. Internet [LAN]? Tried that. Gave up. Honestly, I spent more time troubleshooting the Wi-Fi than actually relaxing.
Things to Do (and Ways to Attempt to Relax)
Oh, boy. This is where it gets… complex. They tout a massive list. Fitness center? CHECK. Sauna, Spa, Steamroom, Pool with a view? CHECK, CHECK, CHECK, and theoretically CHECK. Did I use all of them? Nope. Did I want to use all of them? Absolutely. Did I manage to navigate the maze of hallways to actually find the spa? Let's just say I ended up wandering into a meeting about… something. With people in suits. Very awkward. Eventually, I did find the pool with the view. Gorgeous. Until a gaggle of screaming kids invaded the serenity and replaced the "zen" with "chaos". I tried the gym. It smelled like old socks and slightly expired ambition. The sauna was… hot. And that’s all I have to say about that.
Cleanliness and Safety: Were They REALLY Cleaning?
Okay. This is another BIG one. They advertise a whole host of cleaning protocols: Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, Rooms sanitized between stays, Staff trained in safety protocol, Sanitized kitchen and tableware items… all the buzzwords! All the reassurances! And yet… I saw a suspicious stain on the sofa. And a crumb or two. Okay, maybe I'm being hyper-critical. But when you advertise all this, one expects perfection, yeah? I mean, professional-grade sanitizing services? I hope so! I wouldn't want to share my stay with some lurking germ.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: The Food Fight… Literally?
A la carte in restaurant, Asian cuisine in restaurant, Bar, Breakfast [buffet], Coffee/tea in restaurant, Coffee shop, Restaurants, Room service [24-hour]… The options were there! They promised a culinary experience! The reality? Well, I ventured into the "Asian cuisine" restaurant one night. Ordered something vaguely resembling noodles. What arrived? A pale, watery broth with… stuff in it. The “stuff” was largely unidentifiable. It was… interesting, I’ll give it that. The buffet breakfast was… well, it was breakfast. Nothing to write home about. The coffee? Pretty awful. I ended up surviving mostly on the bottle of water they thoughtfully provided. The poolside bar? I never found it. I'm starting to sense a theme here. Room service? Didn’t try it, after that noodle incident.
Services and Conveniences: So Many Services, So Little Convenience
Cash withdrawal, Concierge, Daily housekeeping, Elevator, Ironing service, Laundry service, Luggage storage… Again, a long list! The concierge seemed helpful, at first. Until I asked for a recommendation for a decent coffee shop and got a shrug. The daily housekeeping was efficient, but it felt… impersonal. Like they were cleaning around me, not for me. The elevator was great. The luggage storage was helpful. The irony of all this "convenience" being so… inconvenient? It's a delicious kind of frustrating.
For the Kids: Maybe the Kids Had a Better Time!
Babysitting service, Family/child friendly, Kids facilities, Kids meal… This place seems built for families. I saw a lot of kids. A lot. They seemed to be having a blast. Good for them! I, on the other hand, was starting to feel like a chaperone on a school trip.
Available in All Rooms: The Room Itself… The Good, The Bad, and the Unexpected
Okay, the actual room. Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Coffee/tea maker, Free bottled water, Internet access – wireless, Mini bar, Private bathroom… The basic amenities were there. The air conditioning worked, which was crucial because it got HOT. The bathrobes were plush. The mini bar… well, let’s just say I may have indulged. The extra long bed was a blessing. The blackout curtains were a lifesaver. I slept like a log… at least, when I wasn’t wrestling with the Wi-Fi. The complimentary tea was a nice touch (even if I had to make it myself). The desk was useless since the internet was terrible. The hair dryer was weak. The mirror was good – helped me see how frazzled I’d become! Overall, my room was a refuge, kind of, but…
My Deep Dive: The One-Eyed Monster: The Room Service Disaster
Let me tell you about the Room Service. Or, let me tell you about the attempt at room service. It all started innocently enough. I was exhausted after a long day of… well, let’s just say exploring the "relaxing" aspects of the Dream Home (with limited success). I flipped through the menu (which, by the way, was like reading a novel) and decided to order. I thought… I’m going to be fancy. I’m going to order the… (I can’t even remember what it was, something vaguely French with a fancy name). I call. I wait. I call again. After a solid hour of nothing, I dial the front desk. The person on the other end – bless their heart – apologized and told me they’d “look into it.” Another hour later, the food finally arrived. It was lukewarm. It was… not what I ordered. It looked… sad. I think I choked back a laugh. The sauce on my plate had the consistency of… well, I won’t go into it. I ate anyway…I was starving and didn’t want to risk trying again.
The Verdict: Is it a Dream? Not Quite. More Like a… Complicated Nap.
Listen. Monkebude Dream Home has potential. It's a big, fancy place with lots of amenities. But it stumbles on the follow-through. The internet is terrible. The service is patchy. The food is… an experience. It’s like they almost get it. But then they miss the mark. It’s a bit like trying to assemble IKEA furniture without the instructions. You end up with something… mostly functional, but with a few, glaring, slightly baffling flaws. So, would I recommend it? Maybe. If you're looking for a HUGE place with a lot of options and you're prepared for some… "character." If you can handle a bit of chaos, a dollop of disappointment, and an unreliable Wi-Fi connection, then maybe, just maybe, you'll have a… interesting time. Just don’t go in expecting a dream. Prepare for something a bit more… messy. Something a bit more… human. And bring your own coffee.
Unbelievable Castro Hotel Views in Monemvasia, Greece! You HAVE to See ThisAlright, buckle up buttercups, because this isn't your boring, perfectly-Instagrammed travel guide. This is MY trip to that fancy "Large holiday home with roof terrace and garden" in Monkebude, Germany. And frankly? I'm already a mess.
The Great Monkebude Adventure: A Chronicle of Chaos (and Hopefully, Bratwurst)
Pre-Trip Anxiety & Packing: The Pre-emptive Crisis
- Day 1-3 (aka: The Pre-Departure Panic): Oh sweet baby Jesus, the packing. This is where my usually-zen-like composure cracks. "Light packing," I told myself. "Relax, you've got a whole house." Lies. All lies. Suddenly, I NEED six different shades of purple lipstick, a disco ball, and my entire collection of Agatha Christie novels. The suitcase is practically vibrating with the sheer weight of my neuroses.
- Anecdote: Managed to almost forget my passport. Like, almost left it on the kitchen counter. My inner monologue was a frantic opera. "PASSPORT! PASSPORT! YOU NEED IT! YOU NEED IT! STOP ACTING LIKE A SPONTANEOUS MILLENNIAL!"
- Goal: Make it to Germany. Alive. With passport AND a half-decent wardrobe.
Arrival & Initial Impressions: The Roof Terrace Beckons (Maybe)
- Day 4: The Arrival: Finally! After a ridiculously early flight (curse you, budget airlines!), and a train journey involving a grumpy conductor and a questionable sausage roll, I arrive in Monkebude. The house… well, it's BIG. Like, "can-get-lost-in-it-for-days" big. The roof terrace looks promising, though, which is the main selling point, to be honest.
- First Impression: The house is lovely. But it’s HUGE. Wandering around, finding the light switches is half the battle. I’m starving. The garden smells of… I don't know, earth and potential.
- Quirk: Immediately upon entering, I spent a solid 10 minutes trying to figure out how to turn on the bloody kettle. Turns out, you just… press a button. I'm a genius.
- Emotional Reaction: Relief. Pure, unadulterated relief. And a faint tinge of "Oh God, am I really going to be alone in this enormous house?"
- Goal: Find the kitchen. Locate the fridge. Commence food-related happiness.
Day 5: Exploring Monkebude (and My Stomach)
- Morning: After a breakfast of questionable leftovers (the sausage roll incident, I swear!), I ventured out. Monkebude is… quaint. Really quaint. Like, it's the sort of place where the church bells dictate the pace of life.
- Afternoon: Spent a blissful hour wandering, eventually finding a little cafe with the most amazing coffee. Sat at a table outside and watched the world go by. This is why I came here. To stop. And breathe.
- Quirky Observation: The sheer number of perfectly-coiffed dogs in this town is astounding. They’re all judging my travel outfit. Judging my life choices, probably.
- Imperfection: Got mildly lost trying to find the "must-see" castle. Ended up in a field of sheep. Sheep are cute, but not helpful when it comes to navigation.
- Emotional Reaction: Contentment. Simple, unadulterated contentment.
- Goal: Learn some very basic German. Order a pretzel.
Day 6: Roof Terrace Nirvana & The Great Grill Mishap
- Morning: Finally, the roof terrace! Glorious sunshine, a comfy chair, and a book. Pure bliss. Swallowed up in the quiet.
- Afternoon: Decided to be ambitious. Barbeque on a lovely roof terrace with a view! Ah, this is what living is about.
- Anecdote (the "Great Grill Mishap"): I'm going to be honest, I'm absolutely useless with a grill. Let’s just say the sausages met a fiery end, the grill nearly set fire to the umbrella (which I forgot to move!), and I now have a smoky, slightly panicked, but hilarious memory. The "delicious" meal basically consisted of half-burnt bread rolls and emergency cheese slices.
- Emotional Reaction: Initially, abject horror. Followed by hysterical laughter. Then a deep, deep appreciation for cheese.
- Goal: Avoid setting anything on fire. And maybe, just maybe, cook something edible. Next try!
Day 7-10: Days of Roaming around some towns
- Day 7: Another day, another town, and another adventure. This time I'm going to take the train.
- Day 8: Getting very comfy with myself, drinking a coffee, going back to the house.
- Day 9: Maybe go on a long walk? Get into nature? Yes.
- Day 10: Back to the house, and it's time to chill.
- Quirk: The amount of different people I had to get help from to get around.
- Anecdote: Meeting so many people!
- Goal: To go back to the house and relax some more!
Day 11-12: The Art of Doing Nothing (and the Unexpected Discovery)
- Day 11: Dedication to not doing anything, and I mean it!
- Day 12: Reading books. The books were great.
- Quirky Observation: The amount that people were so helpful.
- Goal: Relax.
Day 13-14: The End is Nigh
- Day 13: The time I thought I was going to do some laundry. It turns out that I was not.
- Day 14: The end is here. Time to go home.
- Mess: The amount of places I found!
- Goal: Get home.
Departure & Reflections: The Sweet Sorrow of Leaving (and a Promise to Return… With More Butter?)
- Day 15: (The Departure): Saying goodbye to the house has been harder than expected. It's the perfect place for a getaway. Packing, again, is a pain. But this time, I'm taking with me the memory of the smell of nature.
- Anecdote: Managed to actually pack the right things this time, and remember my passport!
- Emotional Reaction: Bittersweet. I'm sad to leave, but happy to be heading home.
- Quirky Observation: I'm pretty sure I saw a gnome in the garden. Or maybe that was just the leftover wine talking.
- Goal: Book another trip. And master the art of grilling. Oh, and try and figure out how to use those light switches properly.
So there you have it. My ridiculously imperfect, wonderfully messy adventure in Monkebude. I hope you enjoyed the ride. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go and unpack, and maybe have a large slice of cake. Don't judge me. Because the journey was perfect.
Peloponnese Paradise: Your Dream Villa Awaits in Nafplion!Monkebude Dream Home: Honestly, What's the Deal?! (FAQ, 'Cause You Deserve It)
Okay, real talk: Is this place *actually* as amazing as it looks in the photos?
Alright, look, I’m gonna level with you. The photos? Yeah, they’re pretty. But let me tell you, nothing, and I mean NOTHING, prepares you for the sheer *scale* of Monkebude. It's like stepping into a Wes Anderson movie... but slightly less symmetrical and definitely more likely to have a rogue sock hiding under the sofa. Seriously, I swear, I spent the first hour just wandering around, muttering "where's the catch?" (Spoiler alert: you might find a couple of cobwebs... but mostly, it's legit.) The roof terrace? Yep, views that'll make you weep. We did witness a rather unfortunate incident involving a rogue seagull and a dropped croissant up there, which, while not ideal for the croissant, *was* incredibly entertaining. So, yeah. Actually amazing.
What are the bedrooms like? Are they all like, Instagrammable havens or what?
Okay, the bedrooms. Let's be honest, that's where the magic REALLY happens (sleep-wise, at least). They're not ALL perfectly curated for Instagram. One of them had this rather charming, slightly lopsided antique dresser that I spent a good ten minutes trying to decide if it was charmingly rustic or just... about to fall apart. (It held. Thankfully.) But seriously, each room has its own vibe. Some are bright and airy, some are more cozy. The beds? Oh man, the beds. Cloud-like. Seriously, I considered just moving in permanently. My friend Sarah, bless her heart, snored so loud she almost shook the chandelier in her room (and I swear, that was a lovely, large bedroom), so be warned. But yes, generally speaking, they're pretty darn good. And clean. Which, let’s be honest, is half the battle in a holiday rental.
Is the kitchen genuinely well-equipped? I'm a cook, and I *despise* having to make do with one blunt knife and a dodgy frying pan.
Alright, fellow food enthusiasts, listen up! This is important. The kitchen at Monkebude… it's a *dream* kitchen. I mean, proper. Not that sad, 'one-hob-and-a-microwave' situation you get sometimes. I, myself, am a self-proclaimed (and very, very amateur) chef and I was actually genuinely ecstatic. They had *everything*. I'm talking a decent collection of knives (sharp ones!), a range cooker, a dishwasher (thank the heavens!), and enough pots and pans to feed a small army. The only minor hiccup? We couldn't find the cheese grater for the first hour, which nearly resulted in a cheese-less pasta bake… which, in retrospect, might have been a blessing in disguise. My point is, YES, the kitchen is legit. You can cook, you can eat, you can even (dare I say it?) *enjoy* cooking. Hallelujah!
What about the garden? Is it actually usable or just a pretty photo backdrop?
Oh, the garden. The garden is… an experience. It's not just a photo prop, it’s actually *massive.* So much space. So much grass. We had to divide up the kids. The youngest, Toby, had a full meltdown about going outside... then fell in love and spent the whole time jumping everywhere. The older ones, bless their hearts, kept trying to hide from each other. We had a barbecue (or at least we attempted to – more on that later). Sunbathing was fantastic, then suddenly a downpour appeared. We found a little stone well at the very end of the yard which provided hours of amusement. It needs a little TLC, maybe a few more comfy seats, but overall? A definite win. Just remember to pack the insect repellent. And maybe a compass. You could get lost back there.
Is it child-friendly? And by that, I mean, is it *actually* child-friendly, or just 'child-friendly' in a brochure way?
Okay, child-friendliness. This is a biggie. My own kids can be… challenging. Let's just say they have a talent for finding every single hazard known to man. Monkebude? Surprisingly, actually really good for them. There's space to run around, a garden to explore, and enough nooks and crannies to keep them occupied. The staircases… well, they're stairs. Common sense applies. Some of the furniture is a little… delicate. Especially the antique lamps. (We may or may not have had a minor incident with a rogue football and a rather dramatic lamp-shattering moment. Oops.) But overall, yes. Child-friendly. Just keep an eye on the little terrors. And maybe pack some extra lightbulbs.
How about the general location? Is it noisy? Is it far from everything?
Location, location, location. This is a tricky one. It's not slap-bang in the middle of a bustling city center, which, for me, was a massive bonus. Peace and quiet? Yes, mostly. We were far enough away from main roads. However, being a holiday home we did hear music from a few parties at night. The beach is close enough to walk and it's lovely. It's close to shops and restaurants, thank goodness! So, it's a pretty good balance, if you ask me. A little bit of peace, a little bit of fun. Just be prepared to drive a little to get to some of the bigger attractions. But seriously, the view from the roof terrace makes up for any slight inconvenience.
Right, the roof terrace… what's the truth? Is it as good as it sounds?
THE ROOF TERRACE. Okay, let me get this out of the system. It's... incredible. Absolutely, jaw-droppingly, worth-every-penny-of-the-rental-fee incredible. I could have happily spent the entire holiday up there. The views are panoramic. The sunrises were breathtaking. The sunsets? Forget about it. You'll need a box of tissues. There's a sense of freedom you get up there, something about being able to see the whole world stretched out beneath you. We had picnics up there (carefully avoiding the seagull). We drank wine, we gossiped, we laughed until our bellies hurt. We even tried, and failed, to learn yoga. (Turns out my flexibility is… limited.) The only downside? You'll never want to leave. Seriously, book this place *just* for the roof terrace. You won't regret it. Just be warned: it's addictive. We're already planning our return… largely because of that darn terrace. And the cheese grater, obviously.