Unbelievable Belvilla Deal: Regina Assisi, Italy Awaits!
Unbelievable Belvilla Deal: Regina Assisi - More Than Meets the Eye… (And a Whole Lotta Pasta)
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because I just got back from a whirlwind trip to the Regina Assisi, courtesy of, well, Belvilla's "Unbelievable Deal." And let me tell you, it was… an experience. Not always perfect, not always smooth sailing, but definitely alive. And that's something, right? Let's dissect this, shall we? Because frankly, I need to process approximately a gazillion thoughts.
First Impressions & The Great Accessibility Question (Let's Just Say "Mostly")
The website touted accessibility, which, as someone who occasionally struggles with uneven cobblestones (Italy!), was a big selling point. And, well, let's be honest, it's a mixed bag. Accessibility: The elevator? Yes, thank goodness (praise the lord for the 21st century). The hallways? Mostly wide enough to make a semi-confident maneuver. The bathrooms? Again, hit or miss. The website promised wheelchair accessibility, but honestly, I'd recommend double-checking specific room details before you book. I saw some, and some were definitely pushing the limits. Facilities for disabled guests: They tried. God, they tried. But, you know, sometimes "tried" isn't quite enough. Anyway, good for them to "try," I guess.
Arrival and the Initial Delight (Followed by a Tiny Panic)
Check-in was supposed to be "express" ( Check-in/out [express] ), and it mostly was. Except, of course, Murphy's Law being what it is, when I arrived, there was a minor kerfuffle. Seems someone had misplaced a key (which led to a rather entertaining Italian debate in the reception, including much hand-gesturing. I am talking full-blown opera-worthy performance) before it was quickly sorted out. Thankfully, Front desk [24-hour] meant I wasn't stranded in the lobby at midnight, although I was tempted to join the performance!
Rooms: A Tale of Two Worlds (and a Few Minor Disappointments)
Okay, the Non-smoking rooms are actually a plus. The view from my, err, room ( High floor ) was utterly breathtaking. I mean, seriously. Rolling hills, the city sparkling in the distance, the whole "Eternal City" vibe, except… not quite. My room, on the other hand, wasn’t quite as… eternal. The Soundproofing could have been better. I heard everything the neighbors were up to (and trust me, you don't want to know). My room also had minor issues. The Air conditioning was a bit temperamental and, one instance, I had to call housekeeping three times about my Refrigerator (or lack thereof). Honestly, a fridge is a non-negotiable when you’re trying to keep your Prosecco cold. A total tragedy.
But… then there was the bed! The Extra long bed was a total godsend. I'm a tall gal, so I truly, TRULY appreciated that. The big pillows and Blackout curtains made me forget about all the other issues. I was so content. The next morning, I woke up to the sun streaming in, and it was glorious. The Bathrobes were soft and luxurious. I could have lived in that bathrobe.
Dining, Drinking, and the Quest for the Perfect Pasta (Spoiler: I Found It… Mostly!)
Alright, let's talk about food. This is where things got interesting. Restaurants: plural! And a Poolside bar! The Breakfast [buffet] was quite something. There were the usual suspects ( Western breakfast ) - eggs, bacon, pastries. They also had a whole section dedicated to Asian breakfast, which admittedly I skipped, but I saw it and it was quite something. Coffee/tea in restaurant was excellent, though again, temperamental (sometimes amazing, sometimes I could’ve brewed better instant…).
The main restaurant ( A la carte in restaurant, Buffet in restaurant, International cuisine in restaurant ) gave me some of the best pasta I've ever had. (I'm not even exaggerating. I think it was the cacio e pepe. Sigh). I swear, I ate enough pasta to last me a lifetime. They also offered Vegetarian restaurant. I didn't try it, but the options looked good. It was very pleasant, particularly in the evening, sipping a cocktail (thanks poolside bar), looking at the stars. This is what I came to Italy for. I can’t say enough about the restaurant.
The Spa Experience: Bubbles, Bliss, and Briefly, a Bit of Panic
Okay, the Spa/sauna situation was… unique. The Sauna was, well, a sauna. Hot, steamy, relaxing. The Swimming pool [outdoor] was gorgeous, the Pool with view… oh my god. The views were amazing - but not as amazing as trying to figure out how the hell to get to the locker rooms. It was a maze! One wrong turn and I got lost in some sort of spa purgatory. ( Steamroom ). I spent nearly an hour trying to find my way back. It was all a bit… much. Eventually, I did find my way to the Spa.
I booked a Body scrub and Massage. Both… were not something I'd revisit. I think I'd rather not talk about how the massage went, because it felt like a weird mixture of a slap and tickle. The scrub was good, though. Eventually, the massage improved… and I started feeling like a woman again. It was nice. I ended up enjoying the whole experience for a few hours before I went back to my room.
Things to Do (Besides Eat and Get Lost in the Spa) and Ways to Relax (Sort Of)
You've got the Pool with view, so that's a solid foundation for relaxation. I also spent some time in the Gym/fitness, which was adequate, depending on your definition of "gym" (lots of ancient equipment). There's a Fitness center. They also do offer Massage, but as I mentioned, I wasn't a huge fan. Sigh. At least there was a Sauna.
The Poolside bar was a lifesaver. Honestly, it made the whole experience bearable. (Thank goodness for happy hours). There's a Terrace, which offered nice views and the perfect spot for an Aperol Spritz.
Cleanliness and Safety: Keeping Those Germs at Bay (and My Sanity Intact)
Okay, I was quite impressed with the cleanliness ( Cleanliness and safety ). Daily disinfection in common areas, they really focused on this, and it showed. Anti-viral cleaning products, check. Hand sanitizer, everywhere! The staff seemed well-trained ( Staff trained in safety protocol ). I felt pretty safe. Rooms sanitized between stays was a promising point. The fact that they offered Room sanitization opt-out available was a nice touch.
Services and Conveniences: The Good, the Bad, and the Slightly Chaotic
They offered a ton of Services and conveniences. Air conditioning in public area, check. Cash withdrawal, check. Currency exchange, check. Concierge, check. Almost everything you could need. The Laundry service was great, though slightly expensive. ( Dry cleaning ). Luggage storage was available, which was helpful, and the Doorman was always helpful.
I actually enjoyed the Gift/souvenir shop. Honestly bought a few things, one being a ceramic rooster. Now I can proudly display my memories from Italy!
For the Kids: I Didn't Bring Any, But…
I have no kids myself, so I can't comment on the Babysitting service or Kids facilities. They had a Family/child friendly vibe.
Getting Around: A Maze of Transportation Options (Or Lack Thereof)
The Airport transfer was a lifesaver, even though it was late. Car park [free of charge] (thank goodness), Car park [on-site] (even better). Taxi service, also apparently available. I mostly ended up walking.
The Conclusion: Would I Go Back? (Yes, with a Few Caveats)
Look, the Regina Assisi wasn't perfect. But it was undeniably memorable. It had its flaws, its quirks, its moments of utter frustration. But it also had moments of pure, unadulterated bliss.
The good: The views, the pasta, the pool, and the overall effort the staff made to provide a pleasant experience. The bad: The inconsistent accessibility and some of the spa experience, the somewhat temperamental air conditioning, the soundproofing.
So, would I recommend it? Yes, with a few caveats. If you’re looking for a five-star, flawlessly executed getaway, this probably isn't it. if you're open to an adventure, to embrace the imperfections, and to focus on the beautiful scenery, well… then go for it. Just pack extra patience, a good book, and maybe a friend who can translate Italian curse words (just
Escape to Paradise: Luxury Dutch Getaway with Whirlpool & Sunshower!Alright, buckle up buttercups, because this isn't your glossy travel brochure itinerary. This is… well, this is me, bumbling my way through Assisi, Italy, and it's bound to be a beautiful, chaotic mess. Starting with getting to Regina Assisi Belvilla…
Day 1: Arrival and the Great Pasta Debacle (or, "Why Did I Pack So Many Socks?")
- Morning (7:00 AM): Wake up in a panic. Did I set the alarm? Definitely didn't. Realize I'm running late. Throw clothes into suitcase like a tornado hit a clothing store. Grab that ridiculous oversized scarf I swore I'd never wear (but hey, Italy, right?).
- Early Afternoon (1:00 PM): Arrive at Fiumicino Airport in Rome. The sheer number of people is overwhelming. Find my luggage miraculously (miracle number one!). Rent a car (a Fiat 500 because, when in Rome… although, Assisi technically). The rental agent gives me a look that clearly says "You? Driving a car in Italy? Good luck." He’s probably right.
- Late Afternoon (4:00 PM): The drive to Assisi. This is a lie. The drive is actually a series of wrong turns, frantic Google Map checks, and near-death experiences negotiating roundabouts. Italy's driving seems part skill, part art form, part pure, unadulterated chaos. After roughly 3 hours of this, I finally arrive in Assisi. Praise the heavens! Check into the Belvilla by OYO Regina Assisi. The view…is jaw-droppingly gorgeous. Immediately feel every bit of the stress of the drive melt away.
- Evening (7:00 PM): Attempt to make pasta. I am not a chef. Discover the Belvilla's kitchen is charmingly old-fashioned. I find a recipe online (mistake number one). The pasta boils over. The sauce ends up looking like a crime scene. Eat it anyway. Taste…okay, not great, but I was starving! Celebrate with a glass of surprisingly good local wine. Decide I'll stick to eating out the rest of the trip.
Day 2: Saint Francis and the Quest for the Perfect Gelato
- Morning (9:00 AM): Visit the Basilica of San Francesco d'Assisi. The sheer scale of it takes my breath away, I go inside and feel a wave of something not exactly religious, more like…a sense of profound peace. Get slightly overwhelmed by the frescoes (so many frescoes!). Spend an embarrassing amount of time taking selfies with a nearby statue of Saint Francis.
- Mid-morning (11:00 AM): Wander through the narrow, winding streets of Assisi. Get slightly lost (again). Discover a tiny, family-run shop selling handcrafted leather goods. Buy a ridiculously expensive, but gorgeous, leather belt. Justified it as an investment. Maybe.
- Afternoon (1:00 PM): Lunch at a trattoria recommended by the Belvilla manager (thank god for the manager!). Order way too much food (pro tip: always order the local specialties). Attempt to converse with the waiter in broken Italian. He smiles patronizingly, but patiently, and I'm pretty sure he understands more than I do.
- Late Afternoon (3:00 PM): The real quest begins: Gelato. I'm on a mission. Sample gelato from every shop possible. The first one is good. The second is fantastic. The third… I think I found heaven in a cone. Triple scoop of pistachio, hazelnut, and something suspiciously like tiramisu. Decide this is the most important part of the trip.
- Evening (7:00 PM): Try to find a rooftop bar. Fail. End up sitting on a bench, eating the rest of my gelato and watching the sunset over the Umbrian countryside. It's stunning. It's perfect. (Secretly wish I had found a rooftop bar, though).
Day 3: Spello and the Lost Luggage (or, "The Day I Nearly Had a Mental Breakdown")
- Morning (9:00 AM): Day trip to Spello, a cute town a short drive from Assisi. The roads are beautiful, the landscapes stunning, I'm feeling confident about driving.
- Mid-morning (10:00 AM): Arrive in Spello. It's postcard perfect. Walk through the streets, admiring the flower-adorned buildings. Take a lot of photos. Feel like I've stepped into a fairytale.
- Afternoon (1:00 PM): Lunch in Spello. Food is delicious. I decide I'll become a professional gelato taster when I return home.
- Late Afternoon (3:00 PM): Return to the Belvilla. Everything seems right after the beautiful day.
- Late Afternoon (4:00 PM): The dreaded phone call. My luggage didn't make it. All my clothes. All my toiletries. My camera. My passport (thankfully, I had my passport with me). Start to sweat. This is panic. Panic, I tell you! Try to stay calm. Fail miserably.
- Evening (7:00 PM): After a lot of stressful calls and emails and promises that the bag will arrive, it hasn't. Feel utterly defeated. Decide a giant plate of pasta is needed, and maybe two glasses of wine. Possibly five.
Day 4: Redemption (and More Gelato)
- Morning (9:00 AM): Miraculously, my luggage arrives! (Miracle number two!). Feel an overwhelming wave of relief. Spend the entire morning just relishing the fact that I have clothes.
- Mid-morning (11:00 AM): Decide that after such a stressful day, I deserve another gelato. Go to my favorite shop and order the biggest, most decadent scoop I can find. Life is good again.
- Afternoon (1:00 PM): Revisit the Basilica of San Francesco. This time, I spend more time appreciating the art. This time, I have more space for appreciation.
- Late Afternoon (3:00 PM): Wander back through Assisi, doing a bit of shopping, talking to the locals. I feel more comfortable now, almost local.
- Evening (7:00 PM): A farewell dinner at a restaurant with the most amazing views. Eat too much, drink too much wine. Feel utterly content.
Day 5: Departure (and the Promise to Return)
- Morning (7:00 AM): Wake up, incredibly sad that it's time to leave. Pack. Try to fit everything back in my suitcase. Fail.
- Mid-morning (9:00 AM): One last gelato. One last walk through the town. Take a deep breath of the Umbrian air.
- Late Morning (11:00 AM): Drive back to the airport. This time, the drive is less stressful, and I know my way around.
- Afternoon (1:00 PM): Arrive at Fiumicino Airport. Survived the Italian driving! Board the plane.
- Evening (5:00 PM): Look out the window as we take off. Feel a pang of sadness. Promise myself, I'll be back. Maybe next time, I'll actually learn some Italian. Maybe. And next time, I might actually get that rooftop bar. And gelato. ALWAYS the gelato.
This, my friends, is a journey. A messy, imperfect, gelato-fueled journey. And I wouldn't have had it any other way. Ciao!
Escape to Paradise: Belvilla's La Cucagna Due in Stunning Frisanco, Italy!Belvilla's Regina Assisi Deal: You *Sure* About This? (FAQs, with a Healthy Dose of Cynicism)
Okay, so... Regina Assisi. What *is* it, exactly? Sounds fancy.
Well, according to the glossy brochure (handily provided by Belvilla, along with promises of ‘authentic Italian charm’), it's a restored farmhouse or villa... somewhere. In Assisi. Probably. Look, the details are a little hazy. Think "rustic chic" meets "potentially requires a machete to access." But hey, Assisi! Home of Saint Francis and, hopefully, not too many mosquitos. And maybe a decent espresso machine. That's the dream, right? Honestly, I spent like, a whole hour wrestling with the Belvilla website. It's like they *want* you to call customer service (more on *that* later...). So, what it IS? A gamble. A charming Italian gamble. And a potential mosquito frenzy. Prepare yourself.
The Belvilla deal promises a "fantastic price." Is that... true? Because my bank account weeps.
'Fantastic' is a relative term, wouldn't you say? Compared to, like, *buying* a medieval Tuscan castle? Probably. Compared to a hostel in, say, Belgium? Maybe not. I will say this: I did the price comparison thing. You know, the one where you spend three days with 15 different tabs open, feeling progressively more cross-eyed? Yeah. Belvilla *generally* seemed competitive. But, and this is a BIG but: *read the fine print*. Seriously. Scour it. The "fantastic price" often doesn't include things like, oh, I don't know, electricity. Or linen. Or, occasionally, running water. Or, the ability to breathe freely in the general direction of the house. And don't even get me STARTED on the 'cleaning fee'. Ugh.
What's the cancellation policy like? 'Cause I’m prone to sudden existential crises that involve canceling everything.
OH, the cancellation policy. Buckle up, buttercup. It’s... complicated. I'll be honest, I only skimmed it. I figured, "Hey, I'm going to Italy! I'm *not* going to need to cancel! Sunshine and gelato for everyone!" (Famous last words, of course). But from what I *remember* it’s basically: the closer you get to your departure date, the more money they keep if you cancel. Think, a sliding scale of sadness and financial loss. Check it. Twice. Three times. Print it out. Tattoo it on your arm. Don’t be like me. Don’t be that person sobbing into their cappuccino, realizing they've just lost their life savings because they decided to become a hermit. Trust me on this.
Belvilla customer service: Yay or nay? Because I have PTSD from a particularly nasty airline interaction.
Ugh. Customer service. Okay, deep breaths. My experience? Mixed. Let’s just say it’s like ordering a pizza online: sometimes it arrives perfect and cheesy, sometimes it's lukewarm, covered in the wrong toppings, and you spend an hour arguing with a robot. I did have a question (about the aforementioned electricity, naturally) and it involved a LOT of waiting on hold, followed by a conversation in broken English with someone who sounded vaguely like they were calling from a submarine. They *eventually* answered my question, which was great! If my phone bill hadn't doubled in the process. So: bring snacks, a good podcast, and a healthy dose of patience. And maybe a translation app.
What kind of amenities can I expect? Pool? WiFi? A working espresso machine? PLEASE, tell me about the espresso machine!
This is where the fun begins! Because the answer...is...it varies. Wildly. The listing *might* say "pool," but it might also say "pool (shared)." Which means you could be sharing that splash-about-in-the-water experience with a family of eight and their inflatable flamingo. WiFi? "Available." Which *could* mean blazing fast fiber optic internet, or it might mean you'll have to stand on a chair on the balcony with your phone held aloft like a sacred offering, desperately trying to catch a signal. The espresso machine? Pray to whichever deity you believe in. Or bring your own. Because it is Italy, and the lack of glorious coffee is grounds for serious, existential dread.
Assisi! What’s there to DO? Besides, you know, staring at buildings and eating pasta?
Okay, *Assisi*: beautiful, spiritual...and potentially a little…sedate. (Don’t get me wrong, I *love* sedate! But a whole trip of it? Maybe not). There's the Basilica of Saint Francis, of course (gorgeous frescoes, prepare to be wowed). Cute little shops. Endless photo opportunities. Seriously, if you don't come home with a thousand pictures of cobblestone streets and flowering balconies, you're doing it wrong. Exploring Umbria can be awesome. You can drive to Perugia. Or Orvieto. Wine tasting! Hiking! Eating so much food your trousers feel like they're about to explode! That's the real joy of Italy, isn't it? But be prepared: you might need a car, depending on where your Regina farmstay is actually located. And prepare for some steep uphill climbs. Like, *really* steep. My calves were screaming.
Okay, let’s get real. What are the biggest potential pitfalls of this Belvilla deal? What should I be REALLY worried about?
Okay, here's the lowdown, straight from the mouth of someone who *almost* booked a place with no hot water. *First*: Read. The. Reviews. Seriously. Spend hours. Scroll through every single comment, even the ones where people are complaining about the squeaky bed. It'll give you a realistic picture. *Second*: Location, location, location. Is it actually *in* Assisi? Or is it in the middle of nowhere, requiring a donkey and a compass to find? (Okay, maybe not a donkey...probably). *Third*: those hidden fees. Electricity. Cleaning. Local taxes. You know the drill. They add up. *Fourth*: The actual property itself. Prepare for anything from "charming rustic" to "slightly dilapidated, but with character." (And by "character," I mean "potential structural issues"). Pack your sense of humor. And a good flashlight. Finally, and this is IMPORTANT for any Italian adventure: The language barrier. Learn some basic Italian. Even a few phrases will make life SO much easier. Don't be *that* tourist, the one shouting in English at the poor barista.
Would you book this Belvilla deal, knowing what you know now? Be honest.
Hmm. Honest? Probably. But with *massive* reservations. Okay, let me rewind a second. I did NOT end up booking the Belvilla. I got cold feet! (Book Hotels Now