Newport's Hidden Gem: Wyndham Inn Long Wharf Awaits!
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because we're diving headfirst into the heart of Newport, Rhode Island, and that "Hidden Gem" they call Wyndham Inn Long Wharf. Prepare for a rollercoaster, not just a review! This ain't your robotic, bland travel blog post. I'm gonna be unfiltered – and probably a little scattered.
Wyndham Inn Long Wharf: A Review (with a Side of Chaos)
(SEO & Metadata Overload… or at least I tried!)
Keywords: Newport, Rhode Island, Wyndham Inn Long Wharf, Hotel Review, Accessible Hotel, Waterfront, Pool, Spa, Family-Friendly, Historic Newport, Long Wharf, Best Hotels Newport, Rhode Island Hotels, Accessible Rooms, Free Wi-Fi, On-Site Dining, Newport Activities, Rhode Island Vacation, Spa Hotel, Fitness Center, Meeting Facilities, Family Getaway, Couple's Retreat
Meta Description: A brutally honest and hilariously messy review of the Wyndham Inn Long Wharf in Newport, RI. From accessibility to the on-site spa, from the questionable coffee to the surprisingly amazing views, I spill the tea (or, more accurately, the lukewarm coffee) on this potential Newport "hidden gem." Strap in, it's gonna be a bumpy ride!
(Accessibility)
Alright, let's start with something that's super important: accessibility. The website claimed to be accessible, which, let me tell you, is a BIG plus for me! I’m constantly on them about it. And, well, Wyndham Inn Long Wharf… they’re not perfect, okay? Don’t go expecting everything to be flawlessly designed for those who need it.
- Wheelchair Accessible: The common areas were mostly good. Ramps, elevators… standard stuff. BUT… finding an accessible room was another story. I had to call ahead and make sure they had a decent one. And the bathroom… look, I’ve seen bigger ones in a shoebox. It was functional, but definitely not spa-like if you know what I mean.
- Facilities for disabled guests: They had some, but don't expect a Disneyland level of accessibility. Call and ask very detailed questions. Don't assume!
(On-site accessible restaurants / lounges): I'm not totally sure, honestly. There was a restaurant, but maneuvering a wheelchair through it… yikes. It was a little tight, and the tables were crammed together. Again, it’s better to call and double-check.
(Internet Access – The Modern Necessity)
- Internet, Internet [LAN], Internet services, Free Wi-Fi in all rooms!, Wi-Fi in public areas, Wi-Fi for special events: Okay, listen. In my book, free Wi-Fi is a requirement, not a selling point. Thankfully, Wyndham delivered on this front! The Wi-Fi in my room was… decent. Not blazing fast, but enough to check emails and scroll through Instagram (the real priority, obviously). The Wi-Fi in public areas was also available. Honestly, it's expected now, but it's still appreciated!
- Internet [LAN]: Didn't try this because, well, who uses LAN anymore? #MillennialProblems
(Things to Do & Ways to Relax)
This is where things got interesting.
Things to do: Newport is full of stuff! Mansions, boat tours, quaint shops… the whole shebang! The hotel is perfectly situated for exploring. You are right on Long Wharf!
Body scrub, Body wrap, Fitness center, Foot bath, Gym/fitness, Massage, Pool with view, Sauna, Spa, Spa/sauna, Steamroom, Swimming pool, Swimming pool [outdoor]: This is where the review gets real… like really real.
The Spa: Okay, the spa… sigh. I love a good spa, and the idea was there. The reality… well, let’s just say it had the potential. It had the whole shebang! Massage, facials, the works. I indulged in a massage. It was okay. Not mind-blowing, not particularly memorable, but hey! I was relaxed for a few hours!
The Pool with a View: The outdoor pool was… pretty. It overlooked the harbor. I will say, sitting by the pool, sipping a cocktail (from the bar – more on that later!), and watching the boats come and go? That was Newport magic.
The Fitness Center: I, uh, glanced at the fitness center. I am not a fitness person. It seemed…adequate. Machines, treadmills, the usual.
Sauna, Steamroom: I can't say whether this were good or not. I did not use them.
(Cleanliness and Safety: The Post-Pandemic Reality)
- Cleanliness and safety, Anti-viral cleaning products, Breakfast in room, Breakfast takeaway service, Cashless payment service, Daily disinfection in common areas, Doctor/nurse on call, First aid kit, Hand sanitizer, Hot water linen and laundry washing, Hygiene certification, Individually-wrapped food options, Physical distancing of at least 1 meter, Professional-grade sanitizing services, Room sanitization opt-out available, Rooms sanitized between stays, Safe dining setup, Sanitized kitchen and tableware items, Shared stationery removed, Staff trained in safety protocol, Sterilizing equipment: Wyndham clearly takes this seriously, I will give them that. Pre-pandemic, I would have barely noticed, but now, I'm hyper-aware. Everything felt clean. Sanitizer was everywhere. The staff wore masks (though sometimes, a little too casually). I appreciated the effort. It made me feel relatively safe.
(Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: Fueling the Fun)
A la carte in restaurant, Alternative meal arrangement, Asian breakfast, Asian cuisine in restaurant, Bar, Bottle of water, Breakfast [buffet], Breakfast service, Buffet in restaurant, Coffee/tea in restaurant, Coffee shop, Desserts in restaurant, Happy hour, International cuisine in restaurant, Poolside bar, Restaurants, Room service [24-hour], Salad in restaurant, Snack bar, Soup in restaurant, Vegetarian restaurant, Western breakfast, Western cuisine in restaurant:
- The Restaurant: Okay, the in-house restaurant… again… mixed bag. The breakfast buffet was… standard. Scrambled eggs, bacon, pastries. Nothing to write home about. The coffee? Let's just say I'm used to better (maybe way better). However, I didn't get everything wrong. The Dinner was better. The Happy Hour was great!!
- The Bar: The bar was my happy place! The bartender was friendly and made a killer cocktail. And the poolside bar! What's better than sipping a drink with that spectacular view? Absolutely nothing.
(Services and Conveniences: Making Life Easier (or Trying To))
- Services and conveniences, Air conditioning in public area, Audio-visual equipment for special events, Business facilities, Cash withdrawal, Concierge, Contactless check-in/out, Convenience store, Currency exchange, Daily housekeeping, Doorman, Dry cleaning, Elevator, Essential condiments, Facilities for disabled guests, Food delivery, Gift/souvenir shop, Indoor venue for special events, Invoice provided, Ironing service, Laundry service, Luggage storage, Meeting/banquet facilities, Meetings, Meeting stationery, On-site event hosting, Outdoor venue for special events, Projector/LED display, Safety deposit boxes, Seminars, Shrine, Smoking area, Terrace, Wi-Fi for special events, Xerox/fax in business center:
- The Concierge: The concierge was helpful, offering suggestions for nearby restaurants and activities.
- Daily Housekeeping: My room was always spotless! Kudos to the housekeeping staff!
- Elevator: Yes! Thank goodness, both for luggage and for accessibility!
- Laundry service: I'm sure they have it, but I didn't use it.
- Meeting/banquet facilities, Meetings, Seminars, On-site event hosting: I don't know anything about this. I didn't go to any.
- The Terrace: Great for taking in the Newport vibes.
(For the Kids (or, More Likely, Your Sanity))
- For the kids, Babysitting service, Family/child friendly, Kids facilities, Kids meal: I did not bring children. So, I cannot say.
(The Nitty-Gritty: What's in the Room!)
- **Access, CCTV in common areas, CCTV outside property, Check-in/out [express], Check-in/out [private], Couple's room, Exterior corridor, Fire extinguisher, Front desk [24-hour], Hotel chain, Non-smoking rooms, Pets allowed unavailablePets allowed, Proposal spot, Room decorations, Safety/security feature, Security [24-hour], Smoke alarms, Soundproof rooms, Getting around, Airport transfer, Bicycle parking, Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site], Car power charging station, Taxi service, Valet parking, Available in all rooms, Additional toilet, Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Bathroom phone, Bathtub,
Okay, buckle up buttercups. We're going to Newport, Rhode Island, and for the love of all that is salty and nautical, I'm bringing YOU along for the ride. This is not your perfectly curated Instagram feed – this is the REAL DEAL. Prepare for some glorious mess. We're staying at the Wyndham Inn on Long Wharf. Let's get this show on the road, or rather, the salty sea road!
Newport: A Whirlwind of Lobster Rolls, Regret, and Questionable Decisions (A Travel Log)
Day 1: Arrival, Seafood Frenzy, and Immediate Regret (Hotel: Wyndham Inn on Long Wharf – Room 217, hopefully a harbor view)
- 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM: Arrival at Providence Airport (PVD). Now, the flight was a disaster. I swear that guy in 22B was hacking up a lung the entire time. And the complimentary pretzels? Stale enough to build a small, beige city. But, hey, we made it!
- 1:30 PM - 3:00 PM: Rental car pickup. "Compact SUV," they said. "Perfect for navigating the charming, narrow streets of Newport," they didn't say. This thing is the size of a small boat and I already scraped a perfectly good curb. My driving skills? Questionable at best.
- 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM: Check-in at the Wyndham. Okay, the lobby is… functional. Feels like stepping into a slightly tired nautical theme park. Praying Room 217 has a harbor view, because I need something pretty to look at after this car incident.
- 3:30 PM - 5:00 PM: Settling in. This is where it gets real. Unpacking, assessing the damage to the rental car (more than I thought), and already feeling the overwhelming urge to nap. But no! Newport awaits!
- 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM: LOBSTER ROLLS, GLORIOUS LOBSTER ROLLS. I'm talking a pilgrimage to Norey's. I've heard whispers of their lobster rolls – pure, succulent, buttery perfection. This is the only thing I've planned with unwavering commitment. If they mess this up, heads will roll.
- 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM: Post-Lobster Roll Reflection & Beer. Let's be real, I probably crammed that entire lobster roll (or two, no judgments) down in record time. Now, I'll sit, maybe at Norey's bar, and contemplate the meaning of life while nursing a local brew.
- 8:00 PM - 9:00 PM: The Great Cliff Walk Debacle. My initial brilliant plan? Hike the Cliff Walk. The reality? I'm already tired, the sun is setting (a beautiful sunset!), and I'll likely get lost and stumble around until someone alerts the Newport Coast Guard. Maybe tomorrow. Probably not.
- 9:00 PM - Whenever: Bedtime. Seriously, bed. My brain is already fried from travel and possibly lobster-induced euphoria.
Day 2: Mansions, Misadventures, and the Quest for Good Coffee
- 8:00 AM - 9:00 AM: Wake Up! Pray for Harbor View, Pray for Coffee. The most important part of the day is the morning and I will need a lot of coffee and something to eat.
- 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM: The Breakers Mansion. Okay, let's be honest, I don't really do fancy. But the Gilded Age mansions of Newport? Intriguing, to say the least. I'm picturing myself wandering through opulence, wondering how on earth anyone could possibly live like that. (Spoiler Alert: Probably quite comfortably!).
- 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM: Coffee Crisis. I had to wake up and start with coffee. Now, where to find a decent cup in Newport? This is a critical mission. Yelp is my friend. Abandon ship if they don't have a good coffee.
- 12:00 PM - 2:00 PM: Lunch and wander around the shops. I'll grab some lunch somewhere casual. The goal is to blend in with the locals and not look too much like a tourist. Not sure how successful this will be.
- 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM: Yacht Spotting (or, let's be honest, admiring the very expensive boats) at the harbor. The plan is to stroll along the docks, ogle the mega-yachts, and fantasize about winning the lottery. A girl can dream, right?
- 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM: Attempt at Sailing (or a Kayak Debacle). I've always wanted to sail! Or at least paddle a kayak without capsizing. This is my chance to (maybe) conquer the sea. Pray for survival.
- 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM: Pre-dinner Drinks. This is where I'll attempt to look sophisticated. Maybe a fancy cocktail at a bar with a view.
- 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM: Dinner is at a seafood joint. I'm thinking somewhere with fresh oysters and maybe a sunset view.
- 9:00 PM - Whenever: Collapse. Bed. Again.
Day 3: Ferry, Forts, and Farewell (Until My Next Breakdown)
- 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM: Morning-Of Departure. The day of departure morning means the ending is very near.
- 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM: Fort Adams. I plan on visiting to pay my respects to the historic past. I feel very emotional while I explore.
- 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM: Lunch. Quick! I need something fast, flavorful, and potentially greasy to soak up whatever questionable choices I made the night before.
- 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM: Last-Minute Souvenir Shopping. Panic mode engaged! Finding something that doesn't scream "tourist trap" is surprisingly difficult. I'll likely settle for a tacky t-shirt and call it a win.
- 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM: Head to the airport early to avoid mishaps!
- 5:00 PM: Farewell Newport, Farewell! Goodbye Newport. It's been messy, it's been challenging, it's been amazing, and it's taught me that I can, in fact, (probably) drive. Until next time, Newport.
- Whenever: Back at home!
Disclaimer: This itinerary is subject to change based on mood, weather, spontaneous lobster roll cravings, and the general chaos of my existence. Consider this a guideline, not a gospel. Be prepared for deviations, detours, and potential meltdowns. But hey, that's part of the fun, right?
Escape to Paradise: Lefkada's Stunning Sivota Bay Villa with Private Pool & Bubble Bath!Wyndham Inn Long Wharf: The Honest Truth (No BS!)
Okay, spill it. Is Wyndham Inn Long Wharf REALLY a "hidden gem" or just another inflated Newport hotel?
Alright, buckle up buttercup, because the truth is… well, it's complicated. "Hidden gem"? That's marketing speak. But... it *has* its moments. Listen, I’ve stayed in some dives in Newport, and frankly, woken up with more regrets than a bad tequila night. This ain't a dive. It’s better than some, and honestly, the *location* itself? Pure gold. You can throw a clam shell (ethically, of course!) and hit the water. But don’t go expecting perfection, okay? Think… a well-worn, comfortable sweater, not a freshly-pressed designer suit.
Location, location, location – what's the *real* deal with being on Long Wharf? Does it *actually* feel like you're IN Newport?
Oh, HELL YES. This is THE selling point. Forget the fancy hotels on Bellevue, you're in the *thick* of it. You're practically tripping over the boats. You walk outside, and BOOM, there's the ocean, the salty air, the seagulls squawking about who stole whose fries. I mean, you can literally smell the lobster. It’s awesome, especially at sunset. One time, I was sitting on the dock, just staring at the water, and a seal popped up! Legit, a real-life seal. Don't expect this all day, every day, mind you, but the *potential* for awesome is huge. The walk to Thames Street for dinner is easy peasy, even in those ridiculous heels you swore you’d never wear again. My feet still ache thinking about them.
Are the rooms actually... decent? Or are we talking tiny, outdated, and smelling of mildew?
Okay, let’s talk reality. Don't expect the Ritz. I've had both good and... less-than-stellar room experiences. Some are definitely better than others. One time, the view was *amazing* - overlooking the marina; I could practically taste the sea air. Another time? Well, let's just say the wallpaper had seen better decades. They're generally clean, but this isn't a five-star experience. The decor screams 'early 2000s' sometimes. Be prepared. But generally, they're comfortable enough. And honestly, who spends *that* much time in their room in Newport, anyway? You're there to explore, not stare at the furniture. Unless you're me, and you're trapped inside with a raging hangover and the weather won't cooperate. Then, yes, you *will* judge that floral duvet cover.
Breakfast? Contemplate the possibilities! Is it worth waking up for, or should I just grab a pastry somewhere else?
Breakfast… ah, the eternal question. Here's the lowdown. It's the standard continental fare. Don’t expect gourmet. Think toast, some pretty sad-looking pastries (some fresh, some... not so much), maybe some cereal (ew, soggy cereal), and the usual coffee that's either watery or tastes like it's been sitting there for eight hours. There's usually some kind of fruit. Sometimes it's good. Sometimes, it looks like it was rescued from a hurricane evacuation. Here's the secret: if you’re a coffee snob, skip it. There's a decent coffee shop a five-minute walk away. If you're feeling like you need substance, and it's included, then maybe it’s *barely* worth it. But don’t build your entire morning around the breakfast. It's a means to an end, not a culinary destination. I'd go for the pastry shop. EVERY time.
What about the staff? Are they helpful and friendly, or do they seem like they'd rather be anywhere else?
Okay, this one is… varied. I’ve had experiences ranging from "absolutely lovely" to "well, they seem functional." Sometimes you get a genuinely cheerful person who's happy to give you advice and help you out. Other times, you get someone who seems like they're having a REALLY bad day. It’s a roll of the dice, honestly. But, on the whole, the staff tries. I remember one time, there was some problem with the elevator (grumble grumble), and the poor guy at the front desk was swamped with complaints, but he still managed to be polite and helpful, even though you could tell he was about to lose his mind. So, I give them credit for that. Be nice, be patient, and you'll probably have a decent experience. And maybe tip well, if they're particularly lovely. Because lord knows, everyone deserves a break now and then.
Are there any hidden fees or annoyances I should know about?
Oh, YES! The dreaded "resort fee." It's a thing. It's designed to make you feel like someone's reaching into your wallet after you’ve already paid. Check the fine print. Parking *can* be tricky. It's Newport, people. Space is at a premium. They *usually* have parking, but sometimes it's tight. Be prepared to walk a bit. And watch out for those sneaky extra charges. It's the little things that get you! Also, be prepared for it to be busy. Newport is a popular place, and Wyndham Inn is in a prime location. So, book early, expect crowds, and plan accordingly. It's not a secret retreat – it's a popular spot, so embrace the chaos. And if you REALLY want to save money, look around for deals. Sometimes you can snag a good rate if you’re flexible with your dates. But generally, expect standard hotel charges, plus a little extra.
Would you stay here again? Be brutally honest.
Alright, here's the truth, unvarnished: Yes. I most likely would. Despite the occasional creaky plumbing, the slightly-less-than-gourmet breakfast, and the potential for wallpaper flashbacks, the location is just that damn good. The convenience, the atmosphere, the fact that you're right there in the heart of everything… it makes up for a lot of imperfections. It's not perfect, far from it. But it’s a good base of operations for exploring Newport. I’d choose it over a sterile, soulless chain hotel any day of the week. Especially if the price is right. And especially if I’m craving that salty sea air and a glimpse of a seal. Just don't go expecting the Ritz, and you'll be fine. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm suddenly craving lobster rolls...