Escape to Paradise: Your Dream St. Simons Island Getaway Awaits!

Best Western Plus St. Simons Saint Simons Island (GA) United States

Best Western Plus St. Simons Saint Simons Island (GA) United States

Escape to Paradise: Your Dream St. Simons Island Getaway Awaits!

Escape to Paradise? Buckle Up, Buttercup! (A St. Simons Island Getaway Review - WITH EVERYTHING!)

Okay, so they called it “Escape to Paradise.” Right. Well, after spending a week at this St. Simons Island getaway, I'm not exactly floating on a cloud of pure bliss. More like… wading through a pleasant, slightly tepid pool of… expectations? Anyway, here’s the lowdown, warts and all, so you know what you're REALLY getting into. And yes, I'm going to get super specific because, frankly, that's the only way to survive this whole "vacation" thing, am I right?

(SEO & Metadata Blitz!) *Keywords: St. Simons Island, Hotel Review, Accessible, Wheelchair Accessible, Spa, Pool, Fitness Center, Dining, Restaurants, Amenities, Family Friendly, Pet Friendly (apparently not!), Cleanliness, Safety, Wi-Fi, Internet, Room Details, Activities, Georgia, Vacation, Travel Guide, Reviews, *… okay, you get the idea!*

First Impressions: Accessibility & Getting In (and Around)

Let's start with the basics: Accessibility. This is a big deal for me, and honestly, it was a bit… hit or miss. They say they have Facilities for disabled guests. And they kind of do. The elevator was a godsend, thank goodness. But navigating the hallways felt like a slightly-too-narrow maze. Getting to the swimming pool [outdoor] was… well, let's just say it involved a significant amount of arm work and a prayer. The wheelchair accessible claims are… optimistic. Let's call a spade a spade , it was somewhat difficult depending on the room you selected.

The car park [free of charge] was fantastic though! Always a plus if you don’t have to worry about parking fees. And if you have a car power charging station, you're my hero.

Internet: The Digital Lifeline (…or the Digital Drain)

Okay, Internet access is a modern necessity, right? And they promise the gods of Wi-Fi [free]! In all rooms! Hallelujah! Yeah, well, sometimes it worked great, other times… it was dial-up in the digital age. Trying to upload that envy-inducing Instagram photo of my perfectly-placed cocktail by the pool? Forget about it. I swear, I spent a good portion of my vacation staring at a loading symbol. Internet [LAN] supposedly existed too, but who honestly uses that anymore? Internet services are available, which is all fine and dandy but the overall experience was something to be desired.

The Room: My Tiny Fortress (and Its Flaws)

Okay, the rooms themselves were… decent. Let’s start with the positives: Air conditioning, thank god. Blackout curtains – essential for sleeping in. And they had a refrigerator, which was a lifesaver for keeping my emergency supply of rosé cool. Having free bottled water was a nice touch too. The coffee/tea maker was… functional. The complimentary tea was… well, it was there.

Now for the not-so-great: the carpeting felt a bit… old. The bathrobes looked like they'd seen better days. The seating area was a bit… sparse. And, although they list it, I couldn't honestly tell you the hair dryer even existed.

The additional toilet? Nope. The additional pillow? Not even a question. All in all, the room was average, but it's a place to sleep.

The Spa & Relaxation: Did I Actually Relax? (Spoiler: Maybe?)

Okay, the spa was… a mixed bag. The Sauna? Great. The Steamroom? Divine. The pool with view? Stunning. (Especially after a couple of those rosés!) But I'm still not sure what to make of the Body scrub and Body wrap. The massage was decent, but not the life-altering experience I’d hoped for. I didn’t get the chance to hit the Foot bath unfortunately. The Spa/sauna was what I wanted, and that I got, for at least part of the time.

And the Fitness center? Well, I walked in, took one look at the equipment, and decided to walk right back out. Let’s just say, it wasn't exactly the "Olympics training facility" vibe I was hoping for.

Food, Glorious Food (…or the Great Mealtime Mystery)

Restaurants, restaurants, everywhere! Okay, the A la carte in restaurant selections were… interesting. Lots of choices. Some good, some… not so much. The Breakfast [buffet] was pretty standard. I was pleased to find some Asian cuisine in restaurant, I am always up for something like that! The Coffee shop was a lifesaver in the mornings, because I definitely needed some Coffee/tea in restaurant to get things moving. The snack bar was… well, there was one. I liked the little Bottle of water they gave at the start of the day.

The Poolside bar was a treat. I spent a disproportionate amount of time there, sampling various cocktails. Happy hour, YES! The only thing that would make it better? A little more variety in the Desserts in restaurant.

Safety First (or, Are We Actually Safe?)

Okay, this is where things get interesting. They say they prioritize Cleanliness and safety, and that’s a good thing. I saw a few signs that they're doing the Daily disinfection in common areas, which is reassuring. Also, they had hand sanitizer everywhere. The Staff trained in safety protocol, is what they say, but I didn’t see any actual protocol being exercised by staff.

They also had, Anti-viral cleaning products, and Rooms sanitized between stays. I appreciate that there was, Fire extinguisher, and a Smoke detector. The CCTV in common areas, and CCTV outside property seem like a good idea.

But… the Safe dining setup sometimes felt forced, and the Physical distancing of at least 1 meter was more of a suggestion than a rule.

For the Kids (and the Babysitters)

If you're bringing the kiddos, they actually are pretty solid in the Family/child friendly department. They have Babysitting service. They have Kids facilities. I can't say what the Kids meal are like, but I saw some happy toddlers running around so it must be ok.

Services & Conveniences: The Good, the Bad, and the "Why is This Here?"

Alright, let's run through some of the other stuff. The Air conditioning in public area was a necessity… especially in the lobby! The Concierge was pretty helpful, though sometimes a bit overwhelmed. The Elevator was essential, especially with my mobility issues. The Laundry service was a godsend for getting rid of those beachy, sandy clothes. The Luggage storage was a definite bonus. The Gift/souvenir shop held some cute stuff, but the prices were a bit… steep.

Then there were some things that just made me go, "Huh?": Invoice provided? Okay. Invoice provided? I’m not sure I understand why that is listed, but here we are. Meetings? I'm on vacation! Xerox/fax in business center? Is this 1990?

Things to Do (and Whether They're Worth Doing)

Okay, let's get down to brass tacks: is there anything to do here? Yes, sort of.

St. Simons Island is beautiful, of course. The beach is right there, so that's a massive plus. Things to do, ways to relax are definitely in abundance. But you will have to wander around and find them on your own.

The Bottom Line: Should You Escape to Paradise?

Look, this place isn't perfect. Far from it. But it’s… decent. If you go in with low expectations, you can definitely have a good time. Especially if you like… well, spending a lot of time by that pool.

Rating: 3.5 Out of 5 Stars (with a generous helping of rosé)


(Further, more sporadic thoughts, spilling out in a stream-of-consciousness style)

  • The soundproof rooms? (I'm glancing at the walls as I write this) Hmm, the sound of the ocean isn't, at all. (Sigh)
  • Proposal spot. (I'm cringing, thinking of the awkwardness of that happening on a crowded beach)
  • I liked the Doorman! They were pretty friendly, I have to admit.
  • Room sanitization opt-out available – I chose not to opt-out!
  • Wake-up service? I set my own alarm, thanks.

(Deep Breath) Okay, I'm done. Go forth, book at your own risk, and for the love of all that is holy, pack a portable

Unbelievable Siena Villa Deal: Belvilla by OYO Luxury Awaits!

Book Now

Best Western Plus St. Simons Saint Simons Island (GA) United States

Best Western Plus St. Simons Saint Simons Island (GA) United States

Alright, buckle up, buttercups, because we're heading on a chaotic, glorious, and probably slightly sunburned adventure to St. Simons Island, GA, and the esteemed (and hopefully air-conditioned) Best Western Plus. Consider this less a rigid itinerary and more a…well, a rough guideline, seasoned with copious amounts of coffee and the inevitable existential dread of "did I pack enough sunscreen?"

Day 1: Arrival, Anticipation, and the Accidental Oyster Adventure

  • 1:00 PM: ARRIVAL! Or attempted arrival. Delayed flight, of course. Every single time. Sat next to this guy who clearly hadn't showered in three days. Bless his heart, and also, blech. Finally, we stumble into the Best Western Plus. The front desk lady, bless her, looks like she's seen things – mostly grumpy tourists, I suspect. Check-in. Room is… well, it's a room. It has a bed, a TV with questionable channels, and a surprisingly clean bathroom. Success!
  • 2:00 PM: Room-settling and unpacking. (Or, in my case, shoving everything haphazardly into drawers and hoping for the best). Time check the pool. Seems crowded. Maybe later.
  • 3:00 PM: Exploring the island. The mission: FIND THE BEACH. Somehow, we get hopelessly lost. Several wrong turns. Almost hit a particularly aggressive seagull.
  • 4:00 PM: FINALLY Beach! Golden Isles of Georgia, here we are, and this beach is glorious! The sand is warmer than I was expecting, and the sound of the waves is chef's kiss.
  • 5:00 PM: Impulse decision to try the local seafood. The "Crab Daddy" came highly recommended. The menu, though, oh lord was it long and I was hungry. Ended up, accidentally, ordering Oysters. Raw ones. Never had one before. Looked like some weird alien snacks. The first one? Terrifying. Salty, slimy… like kissing the ocean. The second? Okay, not terrible. The third? I don’t know if it was the beer talking, but they were amazing. Suddenly, I'm an oyster convert. (And slightly tipsy).
  • 7:00 PM: Sunset. Watching the sun dip below the horizon, painting the sky in hues of orange and pink. A perfect moment. Except… the mosquitos. They came out in full force. Bug spray, everyone, bug spray!
  • 8:00 PM: Dinner at a local restaurant. The food was pretty good. Maybe the oysters had already gone to my head, but it hit all the right spots.
  • 9:00 PM: Back to the hotel, exhausted and slightly buzzed. Realizing I forgot my toothbrush. Typical. Ordering from room service.

Day 2: Sun, Sand, and the Great Ghost Tour Disaster

  • 8:00 AM: Wake up. Sun in my eyes. Oh, my head. Coffee. Coffee is the answer. Raid the hotel breakfast bar. The waffles were surprisingly good.
  • 9:00 AM: Beach time Numero Dos! Actually went swimming this time. The water was surprisingly warm. Swam for as long as I could.
  • 11:00 AM: Ditching beach to visit a local store, get some souvenirs. Maybe a tacky t-shirt.
  • 12:00 PM: Lunch at a casual cafe. Sandwich and some fries. Pure joy.
  • 2:00 PM: Explored lighthouse - nice view.
  • 4:00 PM: Pool time. The pool was less crowded than yesterday. Took a dip. Nice.
  • 6:00 PM: The Great Ghost Tour Expedition!! I had read online that St. Simons is haunted (apparently, the civil war) so I thought: "That would be fun!". Booked it in advance. The guide? She was eccentric, to put it mildly. Dressed like a Victorian widow, told the stories a little too seriously, and kept dropping hints about "shadowy figures" and "unexplained whispers." The walk through the graveyard was undeniably creepy, especially as the sun dipped behind the trees. At one point, I swear I saw a… a shadow out of the corner of my eye. Or maybe it was just a particularly large oak tree. Or sleep deprivation. Or the oysters…I think it was all of it. Half way through the tour, I was convinced I started to see ghosts.
  • 8:30 PM: That ghost tour really ruined my appetite. Back to the room.

Day 3: Departure, Regrets, and the Promise of Return

  • 7:00 AM: Sad realization: Day of departure. Packing. This is always the worst part. The mountain of clothes sprawled across the bed that I can't possibly repack.
  • 8:00 AM: Final breakfast at the hotel. Grabbing more waffles.
  • 9:00 AM: Last stroll on the beach. Saying goodbye to the ocean.
  • 10:00 AM: Checking out. The front desk lady smiles, perhaps sensing my exhaustion.
  • 11:00 AM: Driving away from St. Simons Island, already dreaming of a return. So much more to see! So many more potentially disastrous oyster experiences to be had.

Final Thoughts: Best Western Plus, you were… adequate. The room was clean. The breakfast was decent. The location? Perfect. But St. Simons…St. Simons, you stole a piece of my heart. The beaches, the food, the history (and the ghosts!), the overall vibe of chilled-out Southern charm – it all worked. I'll be back, you hear me? And next time, I'm bringing extra sunscreen.

Agde Beach Bliss: Your Dream Apartment Awaits!

Book Now

Best Western Plus St. Simons Saint Simons Island (GA) United States

Best Western Plus St. Simons Saint Simons Island (GA) United States```html

Escape to Paradise: Your Dream St. Simons Island Getaway Awaits! ... (and maybe it's NOT all rainbows and sunshine, just sayin')

Okay, *actually*, what IS so special about St. Simons Island, anyway? Is it just hype?

Alright, let's be real. I went there expecting… well, *perfection* thanks to all the glossy brochures. And listen, St. Simons *is* beautiful. Think: Spanish moss dripping from ancient oaks, the rhythmic crash of waves, that salty sea air you can practically *taste*. But here's the thing: it's not some manufactured theme park version of paradise. My initial impression? "Oh, this is *relaxing*." Then, after a couple of days, it was, "Hmm, alright, this is *REALLY* relaxing." By the end of the week it was a state of zen I didn't know I *could* access. I mean, the sunsets? Forget about it. Pure, unadulterated Instagram gold. But more than that – way more! – it’s the *feeling*. It’s slower. People actually *greet* you. (Seriously! Remember greetings? I'd almost forgotten!) It's the kind of place where you can wander around in your flip-flops all day and nobody bats an eyelid. It's… genuine. Okay, maybe a little bit of hype is merited. Just a *tiny* bit.

What kind of activities are available? And am I going to be bored out of my skull?

Bored? Never! (Unless you *want* to be, and honestly, sometimes that’s the goal, right?) You've got beaches galore, obviously. Swimming, sunbathing, building sandcastles (even if you’re, ahem, *slightly* too old for that sort of thing… guilty!). Then there’s biking along the scenic paths – a MUST-DO! Oh, and the pier! You get a great view of the St. Simons Island Lighthouse (which is also cool to visit!) - good for a photo op, but watch out for the tourists!
You can go kayaking or paddleboarding, explore the historic sites (Fort Frederica National Monument is a must!)... and eat. Let’s be honest. The food scene is *phenomenal*. I’m still dreaming about the shrimp and grits. I also attempted fishing. Let's just say I didn't have a *great* fishing day, but it was fun. Just make sure you pack the right supplies, and maybe a good instructor!

Tell me about the food. Because, priorities.

Oh. My. Goodness. The food. Okay, so the shrimp and grits at Barbara Jean's? Prepare to weep with joy. Seriously. I’m not even a huge grits person, but… it was life-changing. The seafood, in general, is insanely fresh. Fresh, FRESH, *FRESH*. And I'd eat it over and over and over. Don't even get me started on the sunsets – perfect with some kind of local brew.
And the ice cream! I’m a sucker for ice cream, so if the food’s bad, I’m out. Luckily, there's no shortage of delicious ice cream, the perfect way to end each day.

Okay, but what about the *practical* stuff? Where do I stay? How much is it going to cost me?

Okay, let’s get down to brass tacks. Accommodation options run the gamut. From charming B&Bs to sprawling vacation rentals to fancy hotels.
My *personal* opinion? A vacation rental gives you the most freedom and bang for your buck. I stayed in this gorgeous cottage that had its own porch and a little grill. Bliss. Be sure to book *way* in advance, especially during peak season (aka, the whole summer and holidays!!). As for cost, it’s… variable. Depends *when* you go, the type of place you pick, and of course how much you plan to eat. (A lot, probably.)
Budget realistically, and don't be afraid to cook a few meals!

Is it family-friendly? Or is it more of a romantic getaway kind of place?

It’s both! Honestly, St. Simons Island caters to *everyone*. I saw families having a blast, couples canoodling on the beach, and solo travelers blissing out. There are activities for kids of all ages. The beach is the obvious attraction. And you have that playground/park area near the pier, which is a life-saver if you're traveling with younger children.
But! There is this *lovely* atmosphere and it’d be perfect for a getaway. You can also find a quiet area or even at some of the restaurants. Do know what you're looking for, and make your own adventure.

What's the best time to visit? (And avoid the crowds, please!)

Spring and fall are *perfection*. The weather is glorious. The crowds are slightly thinner (though St. Simons *is* getting popular, so don't expect to have the place entirely to yourself!). Summer is hot (and humid!), but if you’re a beach bum, go for it! Winter is… well, it can be a bit chilly, but you might have the place almost entirely to yourself. (And hey, cozy sweaters and fireplaces are always a win, right?) My advice? Do your research! Figure out your priorities.
And don't forget about rain. You can't control the weather, so pack accordingly.

Any tips for getting around? Should I bring a car?

Yes! Bring a car! While you *can* get around on foot or by bike (especially in the Village area), a car gives you the freedom to explore the whole island and surrounding areas. Parking can be tricky in some areas, but overall, it’s manageable.
I'm also a big fan of renting a golf cart. It’s a really fun way to get around, especially around the beach areas.

Was there anything you *didn't* like? Because perfection is BORING.

Okay, honesty hour. This is where my rosy-colored glasses start to get a little smudged. Look, St. Simons Island is pretty darn close to perfect, but… the humidity is a thing. Like, a REAL thing. Prepare to frizzy-hair city, and maybe a perpetual film of sweat. And the mosquitos. They are hungry little vampires. Don't skimp on bug spray. Seriously. I came home covered in bites. And, this isn’t necessarily a *bad* thing, but be prepared for the slower pace of life. Everything inUptown Lodging

Best Western Plus St. Simons Saint Simons Island (GA) United States

Best Western Plus St. Simons Saint Simons Island (GA) United States

Best Western Plus St. Simons Saint Simons Island (GA) United States

Best Western Plus St. Simons Saint Simons Island (GA) United States