Hotel Du Nord Besancon: Your Dream Besancon Getaway Awaits!
Hotel Du Nord Besancon: My Besancon Bliss (And Maybe a Few Hiccups!)
Alright, listen up, travel junkies! I've just wrestled my way back from a glorious, cobblestone-laden adventure in Besancon, France, and my trusty steed (that's my laptop, obviously) is practically vibrating with tales of my stay at the Hotel Du Nord. This place promises a "dream Besancon getaway," and, you know what? It mostly delivers. But let's get real, shall we? No dream is perfect, especially when you’re dealing with my particular brand of clumsy enthusiasm.
SEO & Metadata (because, you know, the internet demands it):
- Keywords: Hotel Du Nord Besancon, Besancon hotel review, France travel, accessible hotel, spa hotel, Besancon accommodation, French hotel, Wi-Fi, restaurant, pool, fitness center, accessible room, family-friendly, pet-friendly (check availability).
- Meta Description: Unbiased review of Hotel Du Nord Besancon! Discover its accessibility, spa, dining, and quirks. Find out if this "dream getaway" lives up to the hype, with honest opinions and travel tips.
Okay, let's dive in, shall we?
First off, the building itself? Gorgeous. A genuine glimpse into Besancon's history, all stone facade and elegant lines. I love this stuff, and the hotel definitely sets a classy tone right from the (accessible!) entrance.
Accessibility: A Mixed Bag, Honestly
Now, I have to be upfront: accessibility, while present, seemed… evolving. The elevator was a lifesaver (and a necessity), and there were ramps where needed. I didn’t personally require a fully accessible room, but from what I saw, the effort was there. I'd recommend calling ahead to confirm specific needs, though – better safe than sorry, yeah?
On-site Accessible Restaurants / Lounges: This I couldn’t personally assess, but the public spaces definitely felt accessible. Didn’t get to eat in the restaurant (more on that later!), so I can't give a granular response on the restaurant/lounge.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: The Good, the Okay, and the "Where's the Croissant?"
Right, let's talk food. This is where things got… interesting.
- Restaurants: There is a restaurant. I tried to eat there. Twice. The first time, I got there a tad late after a day of exploring the Citadel of Besancon (stunning, by the way, totally worth the climb!), and the kitchen was closing. My fault entirely. The second time? Let's just say there was a slight language barrier, which resulted in me ordering… something that looked like a hearty soup but tasted suspiciously of dish soap. My French is… improving. Anyway, it’s a “Buffet in restaurant” and offers “Breakfast [buffet]”, so I'd assume there's more options than my experience reflects. "A la carte in restaurant" so you can decide for yourself.
- Breakfast: The breakfast buffet, however, saved the day. I mean, a buffet is one of my weaknesses. Freshly baked bread, local cheeses, and enough coffee to power a small city. Seriously, the "Western breakfast" was on point, and they had a decent selection of “Asian breakfast” options too! I was in breakfast heaven.
- Room Service [24-hour]: Didn't use it, but the menu looked tempting. Always a great option when you're battling jet lag at 3 AM and craving a cheesy snack.
- Poolside Bar: Dreamy. Seriously, picture this: you're lounging by that beautiful outdoor pool, sun on your face, cocktail in hand. Pure bliss. The "Happy Hour" felt very happy indeed.
- Coffee Shop: Excellent coffee. Need I say more?
Things to Do, Ways to Relax: Full-On Indulgence
Okay, the relaxation options are where Hotel Du Nord truly shines. It’s practically a mini-spa oasis!
- The Pool (with a View!): Seriously, the view from the pool is spectacular. A perfect way to kickstart your day .
- Spa/Sauna/Steamroom: Oh. My. Goodness. I spent a solid chunk of my trip basking in the sauna, followed by a plunge in the pool. They also had a steamroom if you are looking for something stronger. I felt like a new person.
- Fitness Center & Gym/fitness: I might have looked at the fitness center. From the outside. After all, the French lifestyle is all about balance, right? Which, for me, generally involves copious amounts of cheese and wine…
- Massages and Treatments: I treated myself to a massage (because, why not?) – which was heavenly! They also had a "Body scrub" and "Body wrap," but I was too scared to try them!
Cleanliness and Safety: Covid-Era Comfort
The hotel takes Covid precautions seriously. This was reassuring.
- Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, Hygiene certification: All present and accounted for. I felt safe and secure.
- Hand sanitizer, Individually-wrapped food options: Check, check.
- Rooms sanitized between stays: Yes!
- Staff trained in safety protocol: Absolutely.
Services and Conveniences: The Little Things that Make a Difference
- Free Wi-Fi in all rooms, Internet, Internet [LAN], Internet services, Wi-Fi in public areas: Strong signal throughout the hotel. Crucial for staying connected and sharing those Insta-worthy pics.
- Car park [free of charge]: Wonderful! Free parking in a city center? A win!
- Concierge: Super helpful and full of local tips.
- Daily housekeeping: Spotless rooms, every day.
Available in all rooms: My Room was My Castle
- Air conditioning: Essential in the summer heat.
- Blackout curtains: Perfect for catching up on sleep after too much wine.
- Coffee/tea maker: Morning ritual complete!
- Free bottled water: Hydration is key.
- Mini bar: Temptation station!
- Safe box: Peace of mind.
The "Couple's Room" - My Dream-Come-True or Nightmare?
Didn’t stay in the "Couple's Room" per-se but the hotel offered it. I'm told its quite romantic. I felt like the hotel was a proposal spot.
Things That Could Be Improved (because honesty, people!)
- Restaurant Consistency: That dish soap incident… still haunts me a little.
- Pet-Friendly: No pets allowed. A bummer for all the furry friends out there!
Overall: Would I Go Back? Absolutely!
Despite the minor hiccups, the Hotel Du Nord is a fantastic base for exploring Besancon. The location is superb, the staff are friendly, the spa is divine, and that breakfast? Chef's kiss. It’s a solid four-star experience with a few elements that could potentially nudge it to the five-star. It’s got charm, character, and a whole lot of comfort. If you're dreaming of a Besancon getaway, definitely consider this hotel. Just maybe brush up on your French before you order the soup!
Escape to Tuscany: Unforgettable Belvilla Stay in Stroncone, ItalyOkay, buckle up buttercups, because this Hotel Du Nord thing in Besançon, France? Well, it’s gonna be a ride. Here's my attempt at a totally messy, honest, and hopefully hilarious itinerary. Forget perfect lines and pristine planning. This is real life, baby.
Trip: Besançon… and the Unexpected Charm of French Provincial Slowness (and My Stomach's Revolt)
Hotel: Hotel Du Nord (hopefully not judging my croissant-fueled existential crisis).
(Day 1: Arrival, Disorientation, and the Battle of the Bistro)
Morning (8:00 AM - 12:00 PM): Airport chaos. Seriously, why are airport bathrooms always designed for contortionists? Managed to snag a croissant (the first of many, I suspect) and a lukewarm coffee that tasted suspiciously like airplane regret. Delayed flight, naturally. Thank god for noise-canceling headphones. Seriously, a lifesaver. Arrive in Besançon.
- Realization: “Besançon… sounds like a fancy perfume, and I've arrived looking like a sweaty, jet-lagged ragamuffin. This is going well.”
- Quirky observation: Every French person seems to own a chic scarf. Is there a mandatory scarf-wearing ceremony I missed?
- Emotional reaction: A wave of panic at the prospect of navigating the French train system. Thank God for the pre-booked transfer.
Afternoon (12:00 PM – 4:00 PM): Check-in at Hotel Du Nord. Hotel is lovely. Check in is easy and fast. Room is small but fine. Luggage is a disaster. I’m pretty sure my carefully packed outfits are currently wearing a clown's makeup of wrinkles. And my phone died. Ugh.
- Anecdote: The hotel receptionist, bless her heart, had the patience of a saint with my broken French. My pronunciation of "Bonjour" sounded suspiciously like a strangled cat.
- Imperfection: Spent a solid hour trying to figure out how to use the TV remote. Result: Zero channels, massive frustration. Gave up and went to bed.
- Opinionated Language: "This is why I hate technology!"
- Minor: I had to walk back to my room because I left the room key in the lobby.
Evening (4:00 PM - 9:00 PM): Attempt to find a restaurant. Wander around, get hopelessly lost in the charming, winding streets of Besançon (which, to be honest, all look the same). Finally stumble upon a bistro that looks promising. Order the "plat du jour" - which turns out to be something with, like, five different kinds of meat.
- Anecdote: My French? Still a work in progress. Asked for "eau" (water), and the waiter gave me a look that could curdle milk. Eventually, he understood.
- Messy Structure: The food… okay, let's be honest. My stomach is making some very unhappy noises. I think the sausage might have staged a revolt.
- Stream-of-consciousness: "The wine is good. The view is pretty. But the overabundance of meat… Is this a test? Am I being challenged to eat this? I give in. And then, oh dear, the stomach turns. I'm going to need to find the nearest toilet."
(Day 2: The Citadel, the River Doubs, and a Pizza to Save My Soul)
Morning (9:00 AM - 12:00 PM): Determined to be a cultured tourist. Hike up to the Citadel of Besançon. Views are…well, breathtaking. Literally. That hill. Oh, the hill. My thighs. I will need a long rest after this.
- Anecdote: Almost took out a flock of pigeons trying to take a selfie. The Citadel, though, epic. Lions!
- Quirky Observation: Why are all the ancient castles so damn high up? Is there a secret law of tourism physics I'm unaware of?
- Emotional Reaction: Initially felt triumphant at reaching the top. Quickly turned to "Pleaseletme sit down."
Afternoon (12:00 PM – 4:00 PM): A scenic stroll along the River Doubs. Actually enjoyable! The water. The bridges. The lack of hills. Beautiful, peaceful. Bought some postcards. I'm a cliché.
- Messy Structure: Sat on a public bench, ate a baguette (yes, another one), and people-watched. The French, they’re good at lounging. I need to learn this skill.
- Opinionated Language: Okay, the river is fine, But I am so hungry.
Evening (4:00 PM - 9:00 PM): Pizza. The only sensible option after yesterday's meat-fest. Found a tiny, delicious pizza place. Ordered a pizza. ate the entire thing.
- Doubling Down on Single Experience: The pizza was a religious experience. Thin crust perfection. A symphony of cheese and tomato. My soul has been saved. Life is good.
- Stream-of-consciousness: "I'm not entirely sure what was in the pizza, but I devoured it. Pizza is the answer to all of life's problems. It's the universal language. It's… oh, it’s gone."
(Day 3: The Clock Time and the Bitter Truth of Leaving… and then more meat)
Morning (9:00 AM - 12:00 PM): Visit the Besançon clock museum. The clock is really pretty. So many clocks. All ticking.
- Imperfection: I spent more time staring at the intricate carvings than paying attention to the actual history.
- Opinionated Language: “I wanted to get a clock, but I ran out of euro.”
Afternoon (12:00 PM – 4:00 PM): Food. More food. Lunch in a restaurant. Meat again. I'm not sure why I'm doing this to myself.
- Emotional reaction: I want to go home. (but the food is good…)
Evening (4:00 PM - 9:00 PM): Leaving. Farewell to Hotel Du Nord. Farewell to Besançon. Farewell to my digestive system, which I'm pretty sure will never be the same. I am sad to leave.
Late night: At the airport, I write in a journal. I don't know much French. I can't translate. I leave.
(Post-Trip Reflection (aka My Messy Brain Dump)):
Besançon, France, you were a mixed bag. The charm, the history. The food… well, let’s just say I’ve learned the true meaning of “rich.” I survived. And, against all odds, I kind of loved it. I’ll be back (probably with a suitcase full of antacids).
Escape to Paradise: Stunning Malmedy Chalet Awaits!Okay, spill the beans. Is Hotel Du Nord *really* as charming as it looks in those Instagram pics?
Alright, alright, let's get real. The Instagram pics? They're… well, they're mostly accurate. Think "rustic chic" meets "slightly-worn-but-loved." My room? Oh, the charm was definitely there. That clawfoot tub? YES. But the floorboards? Let's just say they had a few stories of their own to tell, creaking with every step, adding to the "character," as they say. One morning, I swear I heard them whispering about the last time someone sneezed in there. Did it live up to the hype? Mostly. Just… prepare for some actual history, not just airbrushed perfection.
What's the deal with the breakfast? Seriously, breakfast is EVERYTHING.
Okay, breakfast. My kryptonite. The Hotel Du Nord breakfast… well, it's a bit of a mixed bag. They boast about the local, artisanal goodies. And yes, the croissants? Absolutely divine. Flaky, buttery, almost... indecently delicious. But the coffee? Let's just say it wasn't the strong, dark brew my soul craves. I ended up sneaking a few instant coffee packets I'd cleverly stashed in my suitcase. The atmosphere, though? Eating breakfast in that sun-drenched little room, watching the light hit the cobblestone street outside? That's magic. Worth the mediocre coffee. Just… bring your own if you're a coffee snob like me.
Transportation: Can I stumble around to this place or should I take one of those taxi-like thing?
Oh, Besancon is definitely a place to stumble around. And Hotel Du Nord? You're golden. Right smack-dab in the heart of the old town. Seriously, I’m talking five minutes from the Citadel, the Doubs River, the works. The tiny streets are cute while the big ones can be a pain depending on traffic. So yeah, it's walkable. I did a lot of stumbling, mostly fueled by the local wine. Taxi? Nah, unless you arrive late and can't find the street at all. Just pack some comfortable shoes. And maybe a map… or a compass… or a really good sense of direction. Which I, personally, do not possess. I got lost every other day, but it all worked out just fine!
My French is… rusty. Will I be able to communicate?
My French is… practically non-existent. I rely on frantic hand gestures and a lot of "bonjours" and "mercis." Honestly? You'll be fine. The staff at Hotel Du Nord were surprisingly tolerant of my butchered French. They definitely tried to speak English, or maybe just pitied my struggle, either way, they were more than accomodating. I actually learned a few new phrases, like "un verre de vin rouge, s'il vous plaît!" and "où est la salle de bain?" which – vital information, as it turned out. So, embrace the awkwardness. Embrace the mispronunciations. It's part of the adventure! And if all else fails, smile and point. It's a universal language, especially when you're craving a croissant.
Are there any hidden gems or local tips I should know before I go?
Okay, listen up. This is where I unleash my inner Besancon guru. Firstly, the Citadel. Obvious, yes, but seriously, go. Take the elevator up - it's worth the views. Secondly, wander the streets at night. Besancon glows. Find the little patisserie on Rue des Boucheries - their pain au chocolat? Mind-blowing. And the other thing, and this is crucial: find a local boulangerie and just, buy a baguette. Eat it, plain, while walking. That’s it. That’s the secret. Oh! And another thing: the little park by the Doubs… perfect for a picnic. Don’t overthink it. Just… be. And trust me. The best things about the city are the small moments.
The Wi-Fi! Is it usable? Like, can I update my Instagram? (Priorities, people!)
Alright. Real talk. The Wi-Fi? It was… functional. But this is a charming, old hotel, not a state-of-the-art digital hub. Expect times you'll want to hurl your phone across the room. Did I update my Instagram? Eventually. But it took a bit of patience, and possibly a few desperate pleas to the Wi-Fi gods. You'll be fine for basic browsing and checking emails. But if you're planning on live-streaming yourself eating croissants? Prepare to be disappointed. Or, you know, just embrace the digital detox. Your soul might thank you. Mine actually did. (After the initial panic, of course.)
What's the vibe? Romantic getaway? Solo adventurer? Family fun?
The vibe at Hotel Du Nord? Let's say… versatile. I saw couples whispering sweet nothings over glasses of wine. I saw a lone traveler (me!) happily devouring a baguette in the courtyard. It's definitely got a romantic feel, perfect for a getaway. But it's also comfortable and welcoming enough for a solo adventurer to feel at ease. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for a family with small, easily bored children, unless they're really into history and quiet afternoons. But honestly? The vibe is whatever you make it. Bring an open mind, and enjoy it.
What about the noise? City center, after all...
Street noise? Yes. It’s a city hotel, after all! My room faced the street, and on the first night I almost lost it. Cobblestones are not quiet. I think there was a dog barking at one point. There were conversations going on, and of course, the clatter of garbage trucks early in the morning. Pack earplugs. Trust me. You NEED them. Especially if, like me, you're a light sleeper. But, honestly, it's city noise. It's part of the experience. And you get over it. Eventually.
Any particular staff member that was totally awesome?
Oh, the staff! Okay, there was this one woman. She was at the front desk mostly. I don't remember her name (bad with names... terribly bad!). But she had the most amazing smile, and she spoke excellent English, so she understood when I was utterly lost or when I had messed up the whole croissant thing. She was absolutely lovely. Helpful, patient, and genuinely seemed to care. She also gave me some fantastic recommendations for local restaurants. I felt like I had found a friendly face in a foreign land. Seriously, she made my trip! I wish I could remember her name to give her a personalHotel Finder Reviews