Escape to Paradise: Prana Lodge Awaits in East London!

Prana Lodge East London South Africa

Prana Lodge East London South Africa

Escape to Paradise: Prana Lodge Awaits in East London!

Escape to Paradise: Prana Lodge - Or Maybe Just a Really Good Nap? My Unfiltered Take!

Okay, okay, let’s talk Prana Lodge, the supposed "Escape to Paradise" they’re peddling. Honestly? It's a mixed bag, like a really good smoothie that somehow has a chunk of kale in it. I'm gonna give you the REAL tea, the good, the bad, and the… well, let’s just say "interesting."

Accessibility: The Lay of the Land (and Your Ability to Navigate It)

Firstly, I have to say, I was genuinely impressed (and relieved!) by the facilities for disabled guests. That’s a huge plus. They also have an elevator, which is a lifesaver if you’re not keen on a StairMaster for your holiday. It's essential.

On-site Accessible Restaurants/Lounges: Hmm, didn't spot any specific accessibility issues here--thank goodness!

Wheelchair Accessibility: Looked good, seemed easy to manoeuvre.

Internet: The Digital Lifeline (or Maybe a Slow Drip)

Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! Yesss! Okay, it's a bit of a "Internet – Wireless," but the connection was generally okay, but sometimes it was a bit of a slow drip.

Internet, Internet [LAN], Internet services: Didn't test the LAN, because, who even remembers how to plug a cable in anymore?!

Wi-Fi in Public Areas: Yup, got it.

Things to Do, Ways to Relax: Spa-tastic or Just… Spa-thless?

Alright, this is where Prana Lodge starts to shine (and occasionally, just simmer).

  • Spa/sauna, Steamroom, Pool with view: YES. All of this. Do it. Absolutely do it. The Spa is the real deal. Treat yourself to a Body Wrap and let the world melt away. Or, you can, I'm not going to judge if you just go straight into the Sauna, I'm a total sauna-head. The Steamroom is a classic, a must. (Just remember not to sit on the hot rocks, a mistake I once made.)

  • Massage: Omg the massage. I think I floated out of the room after. The therapist was a magician. I felt like a limp noodle dipped in shea butter. Incredible. This is genuinely worth the price of admission.

  • Gym/fitness: Okay, I have to be honest, I only looked at it. Maybe next time I’ll actually use the Fitness Center, since I promised myself I'd start a new routine but the Pool with view kept calling my name and my beer belly kept calling me a slacker.

  • Swimming pool [outdoor]: Ah, the Swimming pool. The views! The feeling of the sun on your skin! The cocktails they bring you! (See below.)

  • Foot bath: Okay, this I missed (but totally would have loved).

  • Body scrub: I didn't get one of these, but I can see how it would be a fantastic idea.

  • Cleanliness and Safety: Sanitized and Safe – Hopefully!

Honestly, I was super impressed with the cleanliness. They’ve clearly taken COVID seriously.

  • Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, Professional-grade sanitizing services, Rooms sanitized between stays: All the boxes ticked. It made me feel safe.
  • Hand sanitizer, Staff trained in safety protocol: Yep. All good.
  • Hot water linen and laundry washing: Excellent.
  • Individually-wrapped food options: Very on-trend and safe.
  • Physical distancing of at least 1 meter, Safe dining setup: Yes, yes.
  • Room sanitization opt-out available: Good option because I hate feeling like someone's in my stuff.
  • Sanitized kitchen and tableware items: Phew!
  • Shared stationery removed: Fine by me.
  • Sterilizing equipment: Sounds professional.
  • First aid kit, Doctor/nurse on call: Fingers crossed I didn't need them.

Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: From Buffets to Buzzkills (Maybe Literally)

Okay, the food. Here's where things get interesting.

  • Restaurants, Bar, Poolside bar: Excellent! The Poolside bar is crucial. Cocktails, sunshine, and a sense of pure bliss. Don't skip it.
  • A la carte in restaurant, Buffet in restaurant: They had some fantastic options. The Breakfast [buffet] was a treat and the Coffee/tea in restaurant was decent. Asian cuisine in restaurant, Asian breakfast: Sounds yum but didn't try.
  • Breakfast service, Breakfast in room, Breakfast takeaway service: Nice to have flexibility.
  • Happy hour: Crucial for a stress-free vacation.
  • Coffee shop: Perfect for a quick caffeine fix.
  • Desserts in restaurant, Salad in restaurant, Soup in restaurant: All the essentials covered.
  • Bottle of water: Essential, and appreciated.
  • Alternative meal arrangement, Vegetarian restaurant, Western breakfast, Western cuisine in restaurant: Good for diverse palates.
  • Room service [24-hour]: Brilliant. Especially after a long day of… well, relaxing. It's very convenient.
  • Snack bar: Always a good idea.

Now, the Bad… and the Slightly Quirky:

  • Okay, the internet sometimes dropped out. (Seriously, what's with hotels and Wi-Fi?!)
  • I did hear a couple of complaints at the bar… nothing major but just like any hotel, you're bound to hear SOME grumbles.
  • I felt a little bit like I was on my best behaviour, and that can feel a bit claustrophobic after a while.

Services and Conveniences: The Extras That Make a Difference (or Don't)

  • Air conditioning in public area, Air conditioning, Elevator: Essential.
  • Audio-visual equipment for special events, Business facilities, Meeting/banquet facilities, Meetings, Meeting stationery, Seminars: Didn’t really use the business bits, thankfully.
  • Cash withdrawal: Useful.
  • Concierge, Doorman, Dry cleaning, Laundry service, Luggage storage: The usual excellent services.
  • Convenience store, Gift/souvenir shop: Okay if you forget your tooth brush or forget to get a gift home.
  • Daily housekeeping: spotlessly clean.
  • Facilities for disabled guests: Good.
  • Food delivery: Didn’t use it, didn’t need to.
  • Invoice provided: Good for business trips, but probably not great for a honeymoon!
  • Ironing service: I am not an iron kinda guy.
  • Indoor venue for special events, Outdoor venue for special events, On-site event hosting: Good for weddings / celebrations.
  • Projector/LED display: Useful for projecting your dreams, or a meeting.
  • Safety deposit boxes: Essential.
  • Terrace: Nice for a sundowner and a book.
  • Wi-Fi for special events: I'd hope so, I am not sure how you'd have a party without Wi-Fi these days?!
  • Xerox/fax in business center: Old-school, lol!

For the Kids: Babysitting (Maybe!)

  • Babysitting service, Family/child friendly, Kids facilities, Kids meal: Didn’t see any specific kid stuff.

Access: Everything You Need to Know to Get In (and Out!)

  • CCTV in common areas, CCTV outside property, Security [24-hour]: Reassuring.
  • Check-in/out [express], Check-in/out [private]: Efficient check-in!
  • Couple's room: I think I saw some.
  • Exterior corridor: No.
  • Fire extinguisher, Smoke alarms, Smoke detector, Fire extinguisher, Soundproof rooms: All good, safety first!
  • Front desk [24-hour]: Helpful.

Getting Around: Arrival and Departure

  • Airport transfer, Taxi service, Valet parking, Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site], Car power charging station, Bicycle parking: All the options, which is great.

Available in All Rooms: The Essentials (and Some Extras)

  • **Additional toilet, Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Bathroom phone, Bathtub, Blackout curtains, Carpeting, Closet, Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea, Daily housekeeping, Desk, Extra long bed, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, High floor, In-room safe box, Interconnecting room(s) available, Internet access – LAN, Internet access – wireless, Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace, Linens, Mini bar, Mirror, Non-smoking, On-demand movies, Private bathroom, Reading light, Refrigerator, Safety/security feature, Satellite/cable channels, Scale, Seating area, Separate shower
Escape to Paradise: Your Dream Farmhouse Awaits in Bemelen, Netherlands

Book Now

Prana Lodge East London South Africa

Prana Lodge East London South Africa

Alright, buckle up Buttercups, because this isn't your meticulously planned, Instagram-filtered itinerary. This is the real deal, the chaotic, beautiful, sunburned truth of my trip to Prana Lodge in East London, South Africa. Prepare for a bumpy ride!

Prana Lodge: My Diary of Delicious Disasters (and occasional Nirvana)

Day 1: Arrival and a Whale of a Time (Or, How I Forgot My Sunscreen in London and Realized I'm Going to Fry)

  • (Morning, London Heathrow): The flight! After a week of last-minute packing and questionable decisions (did I really need those six t-shirts?), I'm finally on my way. Airport coffee is predictably terrible, but hey, caffeine is caffeine. Pre-flight anxiety hits full force, and I wonder if I packed enough socks. The answer is, of course, no.
  • (Afternoon, In Flight): Landed in the middle of a thunderstorm on arrival in Johannesburg. I had the window seat, so the view was magnificent, or would have been if I wasn't too busy freaking out. I'm not a good flyer. Eventually, the sun broke through as we took off for East London. A sigh of relief.
  • (Late Afternoon/Evening, Prana Lodge Arrival): Okay, so. First impressions? Wow. Prana Lodge is like something out of a glossy magazine, except it's real. The drive along the coast was pure magic, like a postcard come to life. Rolling hills, the crashing waves, the air… it's different. It smells of salty sea and something blooming I couldn't name. Check-in was a blur, but I met the very charming Mr. B who seemed instantly very attentive. The room is AMAZING. The four-poster bed is calling my name, but first, the beach! Oh, the beach.
  • (Evening, Dinner): Dinner at Prana restaurant was… underwhelming to say the least. I'm sure I looked like a lobster at this point, my own fault. The food was good! Not exceptional, but good. The sunset, though? Absolutely breathtaking. I actually teared up. No shame.

Day 2: Beach Bliss with a Side of Disaster (and a Lot of Sunburn)

  • (Morning, Breakfast and Beach Debacle): Breakfast was incredible. Amazing fresh fruit and a perfect omelette. Then, the beach. Oh, glorious beach. I slathered on sunscreen, or rather, thought I did. Let's just say my back is now a vibrant shade of crimson. Turns out, I somehow missed a whole chunk! The waves were wild, and the water was freezing, the kind of cold that makes you gasp. But the sun, oh, the sun. I spent hours wandering, collecting shells, and contemplating the meaning of life (and why I forgot my hat). I'm pretty sure I saw a whale breaching in the distance. Maybe I imagined it. Too much sun, maybe.
  • (Afternoon, The Spa of Dreams (and Pain)): I booked a massage to attempt to salvage my flaming back. The masseuse was a tiny powerhouse of a woman who worked miracles. The massage itself was pure joy. The after-sun treatment was, well… ouch. But, the little woman was able to work her magic and my back was soothed.
  • (Evening, Dinner and Stargazing (Maybe)): Back for another meal at the restaurant. Much better this time. I tried the oysters. And then I attempted to stargaze. But the wine, mixed with my sun-addled brain, made it difficult to distinguish constellation from cloud. I ended up staring at the moon, feeling all kinds of cosmic.

Day 3: The Wild Coast and a Taste of Adventure (And Existential Dread)

  • (Morning, Trip to the Wild Coast and a little bit of Panic): I went on a day trip to the Wild Coast. The scenery was astounding. It just went on forever, stunning cliffs, crashing waves, and dramatic vistas. My tour guide, a man named Dave who looked like he'd wrestled a crocodile, kept pointing out things like "that's where the sharks come in, mate" and "watch out for the baboons, they steal wallets". I felt my anxiety levels steadily rising. The drive was a bit bumpy, and at one point I was sure my car was going to tumble into a ravine. But, I survived (barely).
  • (Lunch, Fish and Chips and Contemplations): Lunch was fish and chips at a little shack overlooking the ocean. The fish was freshly caught, crispy, and utterly delicious. I sat there, eating my meal and staring at the vastness of the ocean. I had a full-blown existential crisis. I questioned my life choices, the meaning of existence, and whether I'd ever truly master the art of packing a suitcase.
  • (Afternoon, Returning to Prana, more Relaxation): Back to the lodge. I spent a blissful afternoon reading on my balcony, watching the waves roll in. Life, it turns out, is pretty OK. The panic subsides.
  • (Evening, Dinner and A Deep Dive): Dinner was a real treat. But the beauty of the place and time, made me think. I found myself deep in conversation with a fellow guest, discussing everything from the nature of consciousness to the best way to make a proper cup of tea. I loved it, I left the table a little tipsy and feeling a bit bewildered.

Day 4: The End, Goodbye, and the Long Flight Home. (and the nagging thought I forgot something)

  • (Morning, Late Breakfast): Enjoying a final breakfast. I feel totally recharged. Thinking "This is how to unwind!"
  • (Afternoon, Departute and Reflection): The hotel staff were so helpful, so attentive to detail. Departure was a bit sad, even though I'm excited to return home. I will always cherish these moments.
  • (Evening, In Flight, Memories and a Little Panic): Flying home, and already replaying every moment in my head. Oh my goodness, and then I wonder… did I pack everything? I realise I left my fave lipstick at the lodge. I will always cherish the magic.
  • (Night, Home Sweet (and Tired) Home): Back to the chaos of real life. But with a mind full of coastal memories, a sun-kissed glow (slowly fading), and a deep well of gratitude. I can't wait to return.

Quirky Observations:

  • The monkeys. Freaking. Monkeys. They're adorable until they're trying to steal your breakfast.
  • The staff at Prana Lodge are incredibly kind and patient, especially with my constant questions and clumsy attempts at South African slang.
  • Sunburn is a powerful teacher. It teaches you the power of sunscreen and the importance of remembering to apply it everywhere.
  • The view from my room is just… wrong. In the best way possible. It's so gorgeous, it feels Photoshopped.

Emotional Reactions:

  • Joy: The sheer beauty of the landscape, the feeling of being completely unplugged from the world, the perfect cup of coffee on the balcony… pure joy.
  • Panic: Trying to drive on the "wrong" side of the road, almost falling off the cliff (kidding… maybe), the thought of flying.
  • Gratitude: For the opportunity to experience this, for the kindness of the people I met, for the beauty of the world.
  • Existential Dread: (See Day 3)

Messy Structure & Honest Opinions:

Okay, so I skipped some "activities" because I got too lazy, or too busy staring at the ocean. And yeah, the food wasn't always Michelin-star worthy. But honestly? It didn't matter. This trip was about so much more than perfect meals and perfectly planned excursions. It was about connection, a reawakening, and a whole lot of messy, glorious imperfection.

And that, my friends, is a trip worth taking.

Escape to Paradise: Your Luxurious 2-Bathroom Villa Awaits in the Netherlands!

Book Now

Prana Lodge East London South Africa

Prana Lodge East London South Africa```html

Escape to Paradise: Prana Lodge - Before You Go (and After You've Had a Drink!)

Alright, future Prana Lodge guests, listen up! You're about to enter…well, *Paradise* (as much as any place can be, anyway. I'm still searching for a *real* paradise, you know?). This isn't a perfectly curated Instagram feed. I'm laying it all bare. So, deep breaths; here's the lowdown, FAQ-style, with a healthy dose of my actual, occasionally-slightly-tipsy, experience.

Is Prana Lodge *really* as amazing as the photos suggest?

Oof, that's a loaded question! The photos are stunning, no doubt. Think turquoise ocean, pristine beaches, swaying palm trees… and they *are* pretty darn close to accurate. But… and this is a big but… they don't capture the *feeling*. The feeling of sand between your toes as you stumble out of bed (yes, I tripped the first morning. Don't judge!). The almost overwhelming quiet at night, punctuated only by the waves and the occasional cricket. The way the sun hits the water at sunset… it's ridiculously beautiful. But, the photos don't tell you about the slightly wonky wifi, which you'll eventually accept as a blessing. Or the fact you may bump into the owner, Dave, who's a bit of a legend and loves to chat (and who I may or may not have told a terrible joke to – still cringing!). So, yes, amazing… with a side of wonderfully imperfect real life.

Okay, so what's the vibe like? Romantic? Family-friendly? Party central?

Okay, look, I'm going to be brutally honest. This isn’t Ibiza. No thumping bass, no neon lights. Thank God! It's *definitely* romantic, perfect for a getaway with your significant other - I saw so many couples, gazing at each other like they just invented love. But it's also family-friendly, which is truly magic. Kids have so much space, I remember one morning watching a little one trying to catch crabs on the beach, adorable! Personally (and this is just me), I’d lean into romance or a quiet family escape over a wild party. You can have a drink, absolutely. The bar has some fantastic cocktails. But the overall atmosphere is one of relaxed luxury, designed to help you… well, escape.

Tell me about the food, because that's crucial! What's it like?

The food. Oh, the food! Seriously, the chef deserves a medal (or at least a raise!). Breakfasts were a highlight. Fresh fruit, pastries that practically melted in your mouth, and eggs cooked to perfection. (I went for the Eggs Benedict every. Single. Day. Don't judge, again!). Lunch was generally light, perfect for fueling up for an afternoon by the pool. Dinners… dinners were something else. Fresh seafood, beautifully presented, and with flavors that genuinely took you to another world. I'm picturing the grilled prawns I had one night… still drooling. One minor complaint – the options can be a little seafood-heavy, just a heads up if you're not a huge fish fan.

Okay, let's get into some practicalities: Getting there and around. Any tips?

You’re flying into East London Airport (ELS). From there, it's about a 30-45 minute drive. Easy peasy. Book a transfer beforehand – seriously, don't try and wing it when you arrive. Prana Lodge can organize one for you, which is what I did, and I highly recommend it. Otherwise, you're pretty much confined to the lodge. There's not much else *near* the lodge (which is part of the appeal, honestly). So, plan accordingly. If you want to go exploring, pre-arrange some transport. Otherwise, you'll be living the ultimate resort life.

What about the rooms? What's the inside scoop?

The rooms are gorgeous. Seriously, gorgeous. I stayed in one of the beachfront suites and I basically lived on my balcony. The views were incredible. The bed was ridiculously comfortable – I swear I slept better there than I do at home! They're spacious, with a lovely, beachy vibe. The bathrooms are also huge and well-appointed. Now, I *did* notice a tiny crack in the tiles in my bathroom (I'm a details person, what can I say?) BUT, honestly, I didn't even care. The overall experience was just so good that I barely registered it. Plus, the air conditioning works, which is essential. And the outdoor showers? Amazing. Just remember to keep the door closed if the monkeys are around, they could get in (yes, I know from experience!).

And the beach? Is it as idyllic as it looks?

Look, I’m not going to lie, I could live on that beach. That’s where a large chunk of my stay was. The sand is soft, the ocean is a gorgeous shade of turquoise (and usually a lovely temperature!), and the waves are perfect for a relaxing swim (sometimes a bit choppy but fine). You can stroll for miles, collecting seashells and feeling the sand between your toes. There were a few days where the wind picked up, and the waves were a little rough, but that just added to the drama! And, there's a little reef not too far out, great for snorkeling. I spent hours just floating in the water, watching the fish, completely forgetting about the world. Pure bliss. Absolutely idyllic.

Any downsides? Be honest!

Okay, here's the real talk. The Wi-Fi can be a bit patchy, as I mentioned. You'll be forced to unplug, which, let's be honest, is probably good for you. Also, it's not exactly cheap. It IS luxury, and the price tag reflects that. But, if you can swing it, do it. The experience is worth it. Another thing: you *are* in nature, so occasionally you'll get a few bugs. Embrace it. And yes, the monkeys do sometimes make an appearance, but they’re more curious than anything else (and they'll steal your things if you're not careful - learnt that one the hard way!). One slightly annoying thing: some of the other guests can be a *little*…well… Loud. There was a group of people one night who were a bit rowdy. But the staff were excellent and quickly calmed things down. Overall, though, these are minor quibbles.

What activities are available? Besides lying on the beach all day (which, let's be real, is tempting!)

Luxury Stay Blog

Prana Lodge East London South Africa

Prana Lodge East London South Africa

Prana Lodge East London South Africa

Prana Lodge East London South Africa